Chattanooga built a 3-2 lead with junior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and freshman Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) still on the court. The Lady Mocs needed a win in one of those final matches to secure the win. Both contests were close, but Chadwell posted a hard-fought (7-5, 6-3) win over Frida Jansaker to secure the victory.
"This match was about as close as I thought it would be," stated head coach Jeff Clark. "Elon is a good team, but it is nice to be on the winning end of a 4-3 decision. Up 3-2 with Jenna and Kaylene still out there, I felt good about our chances."
UTC got on the board first by winning the doubles point. Clark put two new doubles teams on the court and both won. Nurik and freshman Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) defeated Briana Berne and Maria Camara Ruiz 8-3 at No. 3 in their first action as a team.
Elon responded when Jansaker and Jordan Johnston downed Chadwell and sophomore Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) 8-5 at No. 1. It was just the second loss at No. 1 for Flynn and Chadwell who fall to 6-2 in the top spot. Seniors Shaina Singh (Vancouver, B.C.) and Emily Hangstefer (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Barbora Lazarova and Viviana Stavreva at No. 2.
Elon quickly tied the match when Lazarova defeated Flynn (6-1, 6-1) at No. 2. Singh responded for UTC with a (6-3, 6-4) win at No. 6. Camara dropped Mulyadi (6-2, 6-2) at No. 5 before Hangstefer defeated Stavreva (6-3, 6-2) at No. 4.
"Our seniors really stepped up today," added Clark. "Emily and Shaina clinched the doubles point for us and then played really well in singles to give us the lead back with each win."
Hangstefer ties her career-high for wins in a season with her 14-5 record. She also improves to 7-4 at No. 4 this spring. Singh moves to 15-8 overall while Chadwell improves to 13-9.
The Lady Mocs hit the road this weekend for matches at Wofford and Furman. UTC faces the Terriers on Saturday, March 24, at 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) in Spartanburg, S.C. Chattanooga visits the Paladins on Sunday, March 25, at 11:00 a.m. in Greenville, S.C. A link for live scoring for the Furman match is available on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 4, Elon University 3
1. Frida Jansaker/Jordan Johnston (ELON) def. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) 8-5
2. Emily Hangstefer/Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Barbora Lazarova/Viviana Stavreva (ELON) 8-5
3. Jenna Nurik/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Briana Berne/Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON) 8-3
1. Jordan Johnston (ELON) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Barbora Lazarova (ELON) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Frida Jansaker (ELON) 7-5, 6-3
4. Emily Hangstefer (UTC) def. Viviana Stavreva (ELON) 6-3, 6-2
5. Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON) def. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Shaina Singh (UTC) def. Briana Berne (ELON) 6-3, 6-4