With storms in the area, teams began with singles, hoping to get a result before the courts got too wet. However, each squad won three singles matches, making the doubles point necessary to decide the team outcome. After two delays, play was called for the night with the Mocs up in two of the three doubles matches.
Juniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) are leading 3-2 and up a break over Dillon Berkabile and Peter Bleach at No. 2 doubles. Junior Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) are up 5-1 at No. 3 while juniors Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) and Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) trail David Orces and James Atkinson 3-4 at No. 1.
Barroetavena, Chopra and Tresnan all won their singles matches. Barroetavena extended his winning streak to nine while Tresnan posted the win that tied the team score at 3-3. Chopra evened his overall record at 12-12 with his win. Grigorjevs had his eight-match winning streak snapped in a tight (7-6 (5), 7-5) loss to Bleach at No. 5.
UTC will have a busy day tomorrow. After the Mocs finish this match in the morning, they will head over to Mt. Pleasant to face the College of Charleston at 1:00 p.m.
The Citadel 3, Chattanooga 3
1. David Orces/James Atkinson (CIT) vs. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) 4-3, unfinished
2. Dillon Berkabile/Peter Bleach (CIT) vs. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 2-3, unfinished
3. Alex Howle/Elliott Sperr (CIT) vs. Stephen Crofford/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 1-5, unfinished
1. David Orces (CIT) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Josh Cook (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. James Atkinson (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 7-5, 6-0
5. Peter Bleach (CIT) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Elliott Sperr (CIT) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) 6-3, 6-3