Elon opened with a 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches. Senior Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) and freshman John Peacey (Emerald, Australia) lost to No. 38 Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann (8-2) at No. 1, while seniors Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) fell to Brian Kowalski and Robert Lindgren (8-5) at No. 1.
Elon went up 2-0 with Kaufman’s (6-3, 6-4) win over Smith at No. 3. The Mocs scored the next points when Chopra defeated Lindgren (6-1, 6-4) at No. 3. It was Chopra’s fourth win in a row as he improves to 12-8 overall, 7-4 in the spring and 4-0 at No. 3.
Vieira had a solid effort at No. 1 against No. 34 Silverman. He almost took the first set before falling 7-5. He lost the second 6-3, as Elon moved ahead 3-1.
Barroetavena closed the gap to 3-2 with his three-set win over Fortmann at No. 2 (6-1, 2-6, 6-1). It was his 10th win of the spring as he improves to a team-best 17-8 overall. Elon clinched the match with Madrid’s (6-2, 6-2) win over sophomore Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) at No. 6. Tresnan lost the last match of the day in three sets to Kowalski at No. 5.
The Mocs are back on the court on Tuesday, March 26, in a rescheduled match with Lee University. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the Champions Club in a double-header with the women’s teams. A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Elon 5, Chattanooga 2
Mar 23, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (GPS)
1. #38 Cameron Silverman/Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. John Peacey/Ankit Chopra (UTC) 8-3
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 8-5
3. Juan Madrid/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Jackson Tresnan/Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) 8-7
1. #34 Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Robert Lindgren (ELON) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Brian Kowalski (ELON) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,1,2,6,5)