The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team scored a 5-2 win at Wofford today. The Mocs took the doubles point and four singles matches to improve to 8-7 overall and 3-3 in Southern Conference action. Wofford drops to 3-10 overall and 1-5 in conference play with today’s loss.
Senior Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and freshman John Peacey (Emerald, Australia) teamed up for the first time and scored an 8-1 win over Tom Wood and David Sklar at No. 2. Seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka Fla.) posted their sixth straight win with an 8-6 victory over Walker Heffron and Graham Duncan at No. 3. They improved to 6-0 in SoCon matches, 10-2 in the spring and 12-6 overall.
Tresnan moved up to No. 4 for just the third time this spring and responded with a quick (6-0, 6-1) win over Graham Duncan. Peacey gave UTC a 3-0 lead with his (6-1, 6-0) win over Parks Thompson at No. 6.
Wofford cut the lead to 3-2 with wins at No. 1 and No. 5. Senior Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) clinched the match with his three-set (2-6, 6-2, 6-3) win over Jackson Keith at No. 3. Barroetavena closed out with his fourth-straight win at No. 2.
The Mocs are back in action on Wednesday, April 3, when they travel to Birmingham, Ala, for a 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) match against Samford.
Chattanooga 5, Wofford College Men 2
Mar 30, 2013 at Spartanburg, S.C. (Reeves Tennis Center)
1. Rob Galloway/Jackson Keith (WOF) def. Ankit Chopra/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 8-6
2. John Peacey/Chris Smith (UTC) def. Tom Wood/David Sklar (WOF) 8-1
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Walker Heffron/Graham Duncan (WOF) 8-6
1. Rob Galloway (WOF) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Drew Superstein (WOF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Jackson Keith (WOF) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Graham Duncan (WOF) 6-0, 6-1
5. Tom Wood (WOF) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) 7-5, 6-4
6. John Peacey (UTC) def. Parks Thompson (WOF) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,1,5,3,2)