The Chattanooga Mocs men’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 match at Jacksonville State this afternoon. The Mocs fall to 1-5 with the loss while the Gamecocks even their record at 4-4.
UTC won the doubles point, taking tough matches at No. 1 and No. 2. Senior Jorge Varon and sophomore John Peacey improved to 3-2 in the top spot with a (8-7(5)) win at No. 1 over Pedro Wagner and Jeff Wendler-Filho. Sophomores Luke Saunders and Gino Delavalle won for the first time as a pair this season at No. 2, also scoring a (8-7(5)) win over Jaryd Reese and Felipe Wenzel.
UTC went up 2-0 with a win at No. 1. Varon was trailing 5-1, but Wagner had to pull out with an injury. Jacksonville State took the next three singles in straight sets. The team win came down to Devalle and No. 4 and junior Pavels Grigorjevs at No. 2.
Grigorjevs was in a battle with Reese. Each of the first two sets went to tiebreakers and it was 2-2 in the third when the outcome was decided. Wendler-Filo closed out the dual with his (2-6, 7-5, 6-2) comeback win over Dellevalle at No. 4.
The Mocs are back in action tomorrow, hosting North Alabama at the UTC Tennis Courts. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. on the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Jacksonville State 4, Chattanooga 2
Feb. 21, 2014 at Jacksonville, Ala. (JSU Tennis Courts)
1. John Peacey/Jorge Varon (UTC) def. WAGNER, Pedro/WENDLER-FILHO, Jeff (JSU) - 8-7 (7-5)
2. Luke Saunders/Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. REESE, Jaryd/WENZEL, Felipe (JSU) - 8-7 (7-5)
3. CHAIM, Mathias/GEE, Dylan (JSU) def. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) - 8-4
1. Jorge Varon (UTC) def. WAGNER, Pedro (JSU) - 1-5, retired
2. REESE, Jaryd (JSU) vs. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (5-7), 2-2, unfinished
3. GEE, Dylan (JSU) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) - 6-1, 6-1
4. WENDLER-FILHO, Jeff (JSU) def. Gino Delavalle (UTC) - 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. CHAIM, Mathias (JSU) def. John Peacey (UTC) - 6-4, 6-2
6. WENZEL, Felipe (JSU) def. Derrick Brown (UTC) - 6-4, 6-1