The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team posted a 7-0 sweep of visiting North Alabama today. The Mocs made quick work of the Lions on a perfect afternoon for competition at the UTC Tennis Courts.
Chattanooga grabbed a 1-0 lead, winning two of three matches to take the doubles point. UTC went on to win all six singles in straight sets, improving to 2-5 on the year and snapping a four-match losing streak. North Alabama, an NCAA Division II member of the Gulf South Conference, fell to 1-4.
"It was nice to come out and play well today," stated head coach Carlos Garica. "We have had some tough losses on the road and have been a bit unlucky, but today we were aggressive from the start and our guys played really well."
Freshmen Austin Boaz and Derek Brown set the pace in doubles with their (8-4) win over Ali Murad and Rob Whitsitt at No. 3. Senior Jorge Varon and sophomore John Peacey clinched the point with an 8-6 win over Guillaume Dechoz and Aliaksei Kavalenka at No. 1.
Peacey was first off in singles at No. 5, followed by straight set wins from sophomore Luke Saunders at No. 3 and the clincher at No. 4 from sophomore Gino Delavalle. Brown won at No. 6 and Varon scored his second straight victory at No. 1.
The toughest match of the day came at No. 2 between Chattanooga junior Pavels Grigorjevs and UNA’s Benjamin Poire. Poire led 6-5 in the first, but Girgorjevs battled back to force a tie breaker. He won that extra frame 7-4 to take the first set 7-6. Grigorjevs was up 3-0 in the second, but Poire fought back to 5-4. Grogorjevs broke Poire to win the second set 6-4.
The Mocs are back on the court on Wednesday, Feb. 26, when they host Lee University in a doubleheader with the women’s teams. First serve for both matches is set for 2:30 p.m. (E.S.T.) at Chattanooga’s Champions Club. A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, North Alabama 0
Feb 22, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. John Peacey/Jorge Varon (UTC) def. Guillaume Dechoz/Aliaksei Kavalenka (UNA) - 8-6
2. Benjamin Poire/Alex Weber (UNA) def. Gino Delavalle/Luke Saunders (UTC) - 8-6
3. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Ali Murad/Rob Whitsitt (UNA) - 8-4
1. Jorge Varon (UTC) def. Guillaume Dechoz (UNA) - 6-4, 6-2
2. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Benjamin Poire (UNA) - 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Aliaksei Kavalenka (UNA) - 6-0, 6-2
4. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Ali Murad (UNA) - 6-4, 6-2
5. John Peacey (UTC) def. Rob Whitsitt (UNA) - 6-2, 6-1
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Jonathan Vick (UNA) - 6-4, 6-2