Prior to last season, Middle Tennessee was a huge thorn in the side of the Chattanooga women’s tennis team. These two programs met in non-conference action every year between 2000 and 2012, and every year the Blue Raiders came away victorious.
UTC finally broke that 13-match slide in 2013 and officially turned the tables on MTSU with today’s 5-2 win at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center in Murfreesboro. Chattanooga’s second-straight win in the series lifts it to 6-2 overall while Middle Tennessee drops to 4-2 in dual matches.
“It was a good team win today,” stated head coach Jeff Clark. “We were able to get out to a good lead and then post two come-from-behind wins. I was definitely pleased with our effort.”
UTC won the doubles point to go ahead 1-0. Junior Claire Mulyadi and sophomore Kelsey Coots opened with an 8-0 shutout over Flavia Nagayama and Sarah Sediri at No. 3. Senior Alexa Fynn and junior Kaylene Chadwell clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Tiffany William and Jesse Grace at No. 1.
Sophomore Alison Storie put the Mocs up 2-0 with an impressive (6-1, 6-1) win over Alexandra Torres at No. 6. The Blue Raiders responded with Nayara Moraes’ 6-2, 6-4 win over Flynn and No. 3.
Despite holding a 2-1 lead with four matches left, the outcome was in doubt for most of the match. MTSU held leads in three of the four remaining matches after the first sets were in the books.
Coots gave Chattanooga 3-1 advantage with her (6-4, 6-2) win over Nagayama at No. 4. UTC was in trouble in each of the last three, but Mulyadi was able to clinch the win. She lost the first set and was down 3-2 and a break in the third, before winning for of the last five games for a (4-6, 6-0, 6-4) win over Irina Constantine at No. 5
After sophomore Kayla Jones dropped a two-setter at No. 1, Chadwell ended the day with a three-set comeback win at No. 2.
Chattanooga’s next dual is a midweek match against Lee University on Wednesday, Feb. 26. This is a doubleheader with the men’s teams at the Champions Club in Chattanooga. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m. and a link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5, Middle Tennessee 2
Feb 22, 2014 at Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Buck Bouldin TC)
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Tiffany William/Jesse Grace (MT) - 8-4
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Nayara Moraes/Irina Constantinide (MT) - 5-4
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Flavia Nagayama/Sarah Sediri (MT) - 8-0
1. Tiffany William (MT) def. Kayla Jones (UTC) - 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Jesse Grace (MT) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Nayara Moraes (MT) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Flavia Nagayama (MT) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Irina Constantinide (MT) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Alexandra Torres (MT) - 6-1, 6-1