The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team picked up a solid non-conference win with a 6-1 victory over UAB on the UTC Tennis Courts this afternoon. The Mocs won the doubles point, and three singles matches in straight sets, to improve to 7-2. The Blazers dropped to 4-6 overall.
“UAB came out with a lot of fight,” stated UTC head coach Jeff Clark. “They played very well in singles. I felt like we took their best shot and really showed a lot of heart today.”
Chattanooga won the doubles point for the second straight match and the fifth time this season. Junior Kaylene Chadwell and senior Alexa Flynn scored an 8-4 win over Rachel Daniell and Elaine Simon at No. 1. Sophomores Kayla Jones and Katie Polk also had an 8-4 win over Pardis Kianoush and Paula Castro at No. 2.
“Getting Polk healthy has really strengthened our doubles,” added Clark. “She’s been one of our top doubles players the last couple of years. Last year and this fall, she and Kayla Jones make a formidable team. Kaylene Chadwell and Alexa Flynn have had some success in the past. Then when you put Kelsey Coots and Claire Mulyadi at three, I feel really good about our doubles right now.”
Chadwell made it 2-0 when Amy Lowther was force to retire at No. 3. The Mocs went up 3-0 following Flynn’s (6-4 6-1) win over Castro at No. 4. UAB got on the board next with Kianoush’s (6-3, 6-4) win over sophomore Kelsey Coots at No. 3.
Junior Clarie Mulyadi, the reigning SoCon Player of the Week, clinched the match with her (6-4, 6-3) win over Catherine Rangon at No. 5. Mulyadi improved to 7-1 in the spring and won the clinching match for the third straight dual.
Polk and Jones both scored wins, but had to come back from a set down in each match. Jones iproved to 14-7 overall with her (6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-4) win over Daniel at No. 1. Polk scored a (3-6, 6-4, 6-4) win over Simon at No. 6 in her first singles action of the spring.
Chattanooga is back on the court next week, hosting Brenau on Wednesday, March 5. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts. A link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 6, UAB 1
Feb 28, 2014 at Chattanooga (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Rachel Daniell/Elaine Simon (UAB) - 8-4
2. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Pardis Kianoush/Paula Castro (UAB) - 8-4
3. Kelsey Coots/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) vs. Catherine Ragon/Sarah Witkowski (UAB) - 7-6, unfinished
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) - 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 6-4
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) - 4-2, retired
3. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Paula Castro (UAB) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) - 6-4, 6-3
6. Katie Polk (UTC) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-4