Story by Adam Stephens
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team won its first conference match of the season against The Citadel at the Champions Club this afternoon. After losing the doubles point the men’s tennis team flipped the switch and took five straight in singles for the 5-2 victory.
“Any SoCon win in any of our sports at Chattanooga is an awesome feeling, and our guys deserved it today,” head coach Carlos Garcia said.
Chattanooga turned up the heat for singles competition winning the first five matches off the court. Sophomore John Peacey stuck first with a (6-3, 6-1) win at No. 5, evening the playing field and tying the match at 1-1.
Chattanooga is back at it tomorrow on the UTC Tennis Courts against Alabama State. First serve is set for Noon and a link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5, The Citadel 2
Mar 8, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Elliott Sperr/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) def. Jorge Varon/John Peacey (UTC) 8-3
2. Pavels Grigorjevs/Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Peter Bleach/Jackson Pride (CIT) 8-6
3. Oliver Dedding/Connor Grady (CIT) def. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) 8-6
1. Elliott Sperr (CIT) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 7-5 (1), 6-1
2. Jorge Varon (UTC) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-1, 6-4
3. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
5. John Peacey (UTC) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Connor Grady (CIT) 6-3, 6-3