SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2013
○○ DOUBLEHEADER ○○
CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE • McKENZIE ARENA
5:00 PM EST • RADIO: ESPN 105.1 FM
purchase your GROUPON
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Lady Mocs BASKETBALL (DH) vs Elon @ 5:00 PM (McKenzie Arena)
• Public Reception Saturday at 3:00 p.m. Chattanooga Room at the University Center.
• Lady Mocs Legends Weekend presented by The DoubleTree Hotel and Chattanooga Coca-Cola - Chattanooga Basketball will welcome back former Lady Mocs athletes, coaches, trainers and managers for a special weekend of events and recognition.
• National Girls and Women in Sports Day - Come support your Lady Mocs as The UTC Women's Center hosts local girls for a day of sports and a great Lady Mocs game.
• McDonald's Mocs Maniacs 6th Man Student of the Game - Students follow the Mocs Maniacs on Twitter (@GoMocsManiacs) and get to the game EARLY for your chance to be the 6th Man (or woman) of the game. One lucky student will be chosen 15 minutes before tipoff! 6th Man will receive a FREE shirt, the opportunity to be on the Lady Mocs pregame bench, and announced with the Lady Mocs starting lineups!
• McDonald's Mocs Maniacs - FREE for students! Sign up inside the Student entrance at Gate 1 to receive your official 2012-2013 membership card and t-shirt. Start earning your way towards MORE FREE PRIZES!
• 3 Point T-Shirt sponsored by Powerade - FREE Chattanooga Basketball shirts will be thrown into the crowd for every Lady Mocs 3-pt basket made!
• "Recyclable" Fan Poms - FREE Blue & Gold poms are available at all gates for fans to pick up each gameday. Feel free to "recycle" the poms back into the boxes after each game for use at future Chattanooga Athletics events!
• Special Legends Weekend Presentation at Halftime
• Doubleheader Monday, February 11
• Women's game vs. UNCG tips off at 5:30 p.m.
• Blackout Game
○ FREE t-shirts while supplies last
○ Black pom-poms while supplies last
○ FREE food for the first 500 students
• Doubleheader, Saturday, February 23 (ESPN3.com)
• Women's game vs. Western Carolina tips off at 5:00 p.m.
• Play4Kay - Pink Game
○ Wear pink to show support for Breast Cancer Awareness
• SENIOR NIGHT
○ Honor seniors Kayla Christopher as they play their final games at McKenzie Arena
• Final home game of the 2012-13 season Monday, February 25
• Women's game vs. Davidson tips off at 7:00 p.m.
SOUTHERN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
• March 8-11 in Asheville, N.C.
• Women's first two rounds to be played at the UNCA Kimmel Arena
• Semis and Final will be played at the Asheville Civic Center
• Tickets available at the McKenzie Arena box office. Click HERE to purchase online.
LADY MOCS HOST ELON ON LEGENDS WEEKEND AT McKENZIE
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's basketball team will host Southern Conference foe Elon Saturday at 5 p.m. in the McKenzie Arena as part of the Legends Weekend celebration.
The game is set to tip off at 5 p.m., the first game of a double-header with the men's team who will host College of Charleston. Tickets are on sale at the McKenzie Arena box office or online at GoMocs.com.
Prior to the game, there will be a public reception honoring all former men's and women's basketball players, coaches, managers and trainers in the Chattanooga Room at the University Center. The reception is from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. and $5.00 per person.
THE LAST TIME THEY MET...
This will be the second meeting between the two schools this season. Elon had a put back in the closing seconds to force overtime at Alumni Gym in January and posted a 70-60 overtime win over the Lady Mocs. With nine seconds on the clock, Kelsey Evans grabbed a missed jumper by teammate Sam Coffer and had a layup to tie the game at 58-58. Chattanooga senior Kayla Christopher' jumper with six seconds on the clock fell short and forced overtime. The Phoenix started the extra period with five straight points before Chattanooga got a layup junior Ashlen Dewart, UTC's lone points in overtime.
Junior Ashlen Dewart (Spartanburg, S.C.) posted a team-high 20 points and nine rebounds. She was 8-of-18 from the field and 4-of-9 from the free throw line. Senior Kayla Christopher (Oliver Springs, Tenn.) was 3-of-6 from beyond the 3-point line and was the only other UTC player in double figures with 15 points. Senior Kylie Lambert (Etowah, Tenn.) had eight points, seven rebounds, six assists and a career-high seven steals.
Elon was led by Kelsey Evan's 19 points, 21 rebounds and five blocked shots. Ali Ford was 3-of-7 from beyond the arc and had a game-high 21 points while Kelsey Harris added 14 points. Evans had six of Elon's 12 overtime points.
Elon joined the Southern Conference in 2003 and Chattanooga won the first 13 meetings between the two schools and are 17-3 all-time against the Phoenix. Elon has won three of the last seven games including the meeting in January on their home court. UTC is 8-1 at home against Elon and won both contests last season.
SCOUTING THE LADY MOCS
Chattanooga is 19-3 on the year and 12-1 in league play. UTC is on a nine-game win streak and has won 22 consecutive games at the Roundhouse. The Lady Mocs have a SoCon-best scoring margin of 13.5 points per game and average 67.9 points per game. From the field Chattanooga is shooting 41.3 percent and 31.9 percent from the 3-point line. UTC is third in the league with 39.5 rebounds per game and lead the SoCon in 3-point field goal defense, turnover margin and assist-turnover ratio.
Junior Ashlen Dewart (Spartanburg, S.C.) has a team-high 15.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. She leads the Southern Conference with a 50.9 field goal percentage. Senior Kayla Christopher (Oliver Springs, Tenn.) is second on the team in scoring with 12.3 points per game and is fourth in the SoCon with a 46.5 shooting percentage. She is second in the SoCon with a 3-point field goal percentage of 42.1 and ranks 16th in the nation in that category. Junior Taylor Hall (New Tazewell, Tenn.) is averaging 8.9 points per game and 5.9 rebounds per game while senior Kylie Lambert (Etowah, Tenn.) is third on the team in rebounding with 5.8 per game.
Elon is 12-9 on the year and 9-3 in Southern Conference play. Since handing the Lady Mocs their lone SoCon loss on January 7 at Alumni Gymnasium, the Phoenix are 6-2 overall with losses at Davidson and Appalachian State. Elon averages 66 points per game, outscoring opponents by an average 1.9 ppg. From the field, the Phoenix are shooting 41.1 percent including a 31.6 3-point effort and have a 72.6 free throw shooting percentage. On the boards, Elon averages 40.2 rebounds per game with 14.3 on the offensive end.
Ali Ford is second in the league with 17 points per game and Kelsey Evans is second on the team with 13.4 points per game and third in the league in rebounding with 9.0 boards. Kelsey Harris is averaging 9.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game for the Phoenix and Sam Coffer is third on the team for rebounding with 4.6 boards. Ford leads the SoCon in free throw shooting making 65-of-70 (92.9%) and is fourth in 3-point field goal shooting percentage making 39.6 percent and second with 2.5 per game. Evans is second in the conference with blocked shots at 2.2 per game, third with 3.4 offensive boards and fifth on the defensive end with 5.6 per game.