CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--- The Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team had a busy fall. The ladies played five events (14 rounds) in a mere 28 days.
There were ups and downs but the highlight was the win at the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic. It was the program’s 15th tournament win in its seventh year of existence.
Junior Agathe Sauzon (Publier, France) put her mark in the Mocs record book. She joined Emma de Groot (2008-11) as the only multiple medalists in school history.
The squad is off until February. It opens with an individual event, the UGA Individual, on February 8. The 36-hole tourney is at the UGA Golf Course.
The first team competition is February 17-18 returning to the Central District Invitational. This year’s two-day, 54-hole foray is played on the Cypress Course in Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
Click the link above for the complete notes package. Here are a few highlights:
• The fall schedule was a whirlwind with five tournaments in less than a month’s time. There were 15 dates in a 28-day time period, however, 14 rounds were played with one rained out.
• There are a couple of roster changes heading into the spring. Chattanooga native Sarah Dolmovich, a transfer from Birmingham-Southern College, and Australian DeeDee Russell are enrolling in January.
• Chattanooga claimed one win in five starts capturing the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic. It won by two over Campbell. It’s the 15th tourney title in the six-plus years of the program.
• Sauzon led the way at Starmount Forest Country Club earning her second win. She tallied a three-under par 210 winning by three strokes. Sauzon and Emma de Groot (2008-11) are the only multiple winners for the Mocs. Her two wins are in just 12 career events.
• Sauzon set new personal bests at Starmount Forest Country Club with low 18 (69), 36 (141) and 54 (210) totals. Her 36-hole 141 tied Christine Wolf’s (2008-11) school record. The 210 was one behind Wolf’s 209 at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invite.
• Jordan Britt and McLennan also notched new career-low marks at Starmount Forest. Britt’s four-over 217 was a three-shot improvement, while McLennan shaved one stroke off her previous best with a 220.
• The Mocs are off to a good start scoring-wise with six of their 14 rounds under 300. Last year’s squad had nine all year (33 rounds). The school record is 11 (2008-09).
• The squad is on pace for a new school scoring average record. This year’s edition is shooting 301.29 strokes per round at the mid-way point. The record for a season is 301.58 in 2010-11.
• The 301.29 average is the best through 14 rounds in school history. It’s a half-shot clear of the previous low of 301.79 in 2010-11.
• The Mocs posted three of the best team rounds in school history during the fall slate. The back-to-back 289’s at Starmount tie for sixth-best and were the lowest totals since shooting 278 (-10) in the final round of the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invitational. The 578 (+10) through 36 holes was a new school best topping 581 (+5) at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invitational. The opening round 292 at the Mercedes-Benz Championship is tied for the 12th-best 18 for the Mocs.
• The 876 winning score at the Starmount Fall Classic is third lowest behind 859 (-5) at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invite and 866 (+2) for the 2009 JMU Eagle Landing Invite.
• Britt already set a school season record. She has three eagles which is one better than the previous record of two posted by Sauzon (2012-13), Mette Kryger (2011-12) and Marion Duvernay (2010-11). Britt had two at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate earlier this week. The five in her career is another record.
• Britt has two top 5’s (5 career) and three top 10’s (7) in 2013-14.
• Chattanooga has won four straight conference titles and competed in six consecutive NCAA Regionals in the six years of the program’s existence.
• The Mocs are +1 on par 5’s this season. The team was -10 over its last 11 rounds. Team averages by hole type (counters only): Par 3 (3.22), Par 4 (4.28) & Par 5 (5.01).
• McLennan paces her squad in birdies (33), par 3 scoring (3.18) and par 5 scoring (4.91).
• Britt is the team leader in scoring (74.14), pars (171), par or better holes (77.8%), fewest bogeys (49), fewest scores higher than bogey (7) and par 4 scoring (4.17).
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.