2012-13 CHATTANOOGA MOCS SCHEDULE NOTES:
- There are a total of 19 home dates including the resumption of the Blue-Gold scrimmage. It takes the stead of a traditional exhibition game as the Mocs will now participate in closed scrimmages with Belmont (home) and Tennessee Tech (away). Teams have the option of either holding closed scrimmages or exhibition games.
- The 18 home games break UTC's school record of 17 set in the 1985-86 and 2011-12 seasons.
- Chattanooga hosts a record-tying seven Division I home games including the CBE and Dr Pepper Classic fields. The last time seven DI schools visited McKenzie Arena was the 1990-91 season. It is the third time overall with seven on the 1989-90 slate as well.
- The Kansas game marks the sixth time the Mocs have faced a previous season's finalist. It is the second year in a row UTC has done it with Butler on the docket in 2011-12 (57-46 loss). Previously, the Mocs played North Carolina (1982 champ) at home on Dec. 21, 1982 losing 73-66, at Michigan (1993 runner-up) on Dec. 5, 1993 losing 97-86, at Kansas (2003 runner-up) losing 90-76 on Nov. 21, 2003 and Memphis (2008 runner-up) in San Juan, P.R., on Nov. 20, 2008 losing 83-71.
- The contest with the Jayhawks is part of the CBE Classic which will bring three teams and six games to McKenzie Arena Nov. 18-20. Louisiana Tech, Southeast Missouri and Troy square off in a round-robin to claim the title of the Chattanooga Bracket.
- The game at KU is the first Big 12 meeting for the Mocs since Missouri on Nov. 24, 2009. It's the first matchup with a current Big 12 member since Nov. 21, 2003 at...Kansas.
- The meeting at LSU is the first between the two programs. It is the third year in a row - and nine of the last 10 - with at least one SEC team is on the schedule. Texas A&M now stands as the only SEC school the Mocs have yet to face.
- Freshman Gee McGhee returns to his native Baton Rouge to face LSU. Fellow newcomer Casey Jones is from nearby New Orleans.
- It's the third time in four years UTC meets Georgia Tech. It's the second consecutive season Jan. 2 includes a Big Six conference opponent for the Mocs (Tennessee).
- Return non-conference meetings from 2011-12: Kennesaw State (65-59 loss) and Mercer (67-56 loss). Utah Valley State returns to the Dr Pepper Classic where it was a 74-59 loser to UTC in the title game.
- New opponents in 2012-13 (Last Meeting): Eastern Kentucky (12/30/09), Georgia Tech (2/16/11), High Point (1st meeting), Kansas (11/21/03), LSU (1st meeting), Louisiana Tech (11/24/77), Reinhardt (12/21/10), Southeast Missouri (1st meeting), Tennessee Temple (12/21/09), Troy (1st meeting). The Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech dot the most past schedules of the new opponents with this year's matchup being the 17th. La. Tech holds the distinction of being the Mocs' first win and opponent of the DI era.
- The 23rd Annual Dr Pepper Classic field matches UTC up with High Point in the first round. The Panthers were 13-18 last season, 8-10 tying for sixth in the Big South Conference. Austin Peay meets Utah Valley in the other half of the bracket. APSU ended up sixth in the OVC last year, while UVU won the Great West Conference. The Govs lost 77-62 to the Mocs in the title game of the 2000 Dr Pepper Classic, while the Wolverines were UTC's victim in 2011. Chattanooga is 36-8 with 14 championships.
- Chattanooga faces one Big 12, one SEC, one ACC, two maybe three OVC, two A-Sun, one Big South, one Sun Belt, one WAC and possibly one Great West school.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.