2010 NCAA MEN'S GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
THE HONORS COURSE - CHATTANOOGA, TENN.
FIRST ROUND - NOTES
Average Score - 74.28 - overall - 75.08 - morning - 73.48 - afternoon
Rounds Under Par - Team - 8 - Individual - 35
Individual Rounds in the 60's - 12
Taylor Floyd - Augusta State - No. 2 - Par 5 - 560 yards
Kevin Tway - Oklahoma State - No. 2 - Par 5 - 560 yards
Henrik Norlander - Augusta State - No. 11 Par 5 - 590 yards
Ryan O'Rear - Baylor - No. 13 - Par 4 - 410 yards (Holed out from 125 yards out with a gap-wedge)
Jesper Kennegard - Arizona State - No. 17 - Par 5 - 545 yards
4.46 - No. 15 - Par 4 - 475 yards
4.42 - No. 10 - Par 4 - 490 yards
4.40 - No. 7 - Par 4 - 460 yards - tied for course low with nine birdies
The 380-yard, par 4 12th hole only allowed nine birdies on the day.
4.83 - No. 2 - Par 5 - 560 yards - 2 eagles, 48 birdies
2.86 - No. 14 - Par 3 - 160 yards
- Despite the addition of 356 yards to the layout of the 1996 NCAA Championships at the Honors Course (7,395 total), four teams bested the previous low round of 286 (-2) set by Arizona State in 1996. The Sun Devils even equaled their own low score in the morning group today. Clemson also shot a 2-under, 286 today.
- Oklahoma State and Florida State tied for a new course record, shooting a 5-under 283 in the opening round.
- There was only one team round of under-par golf when The Honors hosted the NCAA Championships in 1996. Today there were eight teams to shoot under par.
- Clemson Senior Luke Hopkins was threatening Michael Sim's course record 66 today. He was 5-under before double-bogeying his final hole. He still managed a solid 69 and is tied for third in the individual race. His 69 was one shot shy of a personal low.
- Augusta State junior Henrik Norlander shot a 4-under 68 today. He started on No. 10 and quickly eagled the par-5 11th hole. He went out in 35 (-1) and scored three birdies and no bogeys in his final nine holes to come in at 33 (-3).
- Arizona State led after the morning wave with a 2-under 286. It was the identical score the Sun Devils shot in the first round in 1996 when they won the NCAA Championships here are the Honors Course. At the time, it was the lowest 18-hole score in NCAA competition at The Honors. They were they only team in the early group to shoot under par.
- Arizona State's Jesper Kennegard led the individuals in the morning flight. He shot an opening round 68 that included and eagle (No. 17), six birdies and four bogeys.
- Baylor's Ryan O'Rear hit a gap-wedge from 125 yards out on the 410-yard par-4 13 hole for an eagle. He finished his opening round with a 3-under 69.
- Average score for the morning group was 75.08. There were 11 individual rounds under par and 19 scores of par or better among those playing in the morning.
- Average score for the afternoon group was 73.48. There were 24 individual rounds under par and 32 scores of par or better among those playing in the afternoon.