2010 NCAA MEN'S GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
THE HONORS COURSE - CHATTANOOGA, TENN.
CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH NOTES
No. 6 Augusta State 3 - No. 1 Oklahoma State 1 (Final Match Was Halved)
- Augusta State wins its first NCAA Division I Men's Golf Championship in school history. Located in Augusta, Ga., the Jaguars compete in the NCAA Division I in men's and women's golf and in Division II in its nine other sports. The men's golf team has competed at the Division I level since 1984.
- Junior Henrik Norlander put ASU on the board 1-0 with a 5 and 4 win over OSU sophomore Morgan Hoffman. Norlander finished the stroke play tied fifth overall (68-69-73-210, -6) and won all three of his match play contests this week. Hoffman finished 2-1 in match play this week.
- Sophomore Patrick Reed put the Jaguars up 2-0 when he defeated OSU sophomore Peter Uihlein 4 and 2. Reed also went 3-0 in the match play. The final hole of this contest was a battle of attrition as Reed won with a bogey on the par 3, 16th hole. After finishing tied for second (69-68-71=208, -8) in the stroke play, Uihlein went 1-2 in the match play portion of the championships.
- Oklahoma State got on the board with a 2 and 1 win by sophomore Sean Einhaus over ASU junior Carter Newman. Newman missed a short birdie putt on No. 17 that would have extended the match.
- The deciding match came on a playoff hole between OSU junior Kevin Tway and ASU junior Mitchell Krywulycz. Tway missed a short par putt on the first playoff hole to extend the match. Tway went up four with a birdie on the par 5, 11th hole. Krywulcyz caught fire and tied the match in four holes. He made a par and three birdies to pull all square on the 15th.
- The final match between OSU senior Trent Whitekiller and Augusta State sophomore Taylor Floyd was halved after the Tway-Krywulycz was finished. Whitekiller had 35 feet birdie on the par 5, while Floyd had a 30-footer for eagle before the match was stopped.