The Bison (1-3) took the doubles point, winning at No. 1 and No. 3. Colby Shaw and David Salazar defeated the Mocs No. 3 duo of junior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) 8-4. UTC evened it up with juniors Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) posting an 8-6 win at No. 2.
The decider for the doubles point was a marathon at No. 1 between UTC juniors Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) and Lipscomb's Oliver Streck and Daniel Hernandez. The Bison took the match and the point with a 9-8 victory, winning 7-5 in the tiebreaker.
Any momentum Lipscomb had after going up 1-0, Chattanooga quickly took back. The Mocs won the first set in all six singles matches. Vieira made quick work of Strecker (6-2, 6-1) at No. 1 to tie the score while Chopra gave UTC the lead with a win at No. 3.
Freshman Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) posted his second win of the spring with a (6-3, 6-3) victory over Tanner Brown at No. 4. Smith clinched the win at No. 2, improving to 3-1 since moving up to the second spot in the lineup. Tresnan and Grigorjevs both had three-set wins at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.
The Mocs are back in action next week hosting Belmont. Match time is set for Friday, Feb. 10 at 5:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) at the Hixson Racquet Club. A link for live scoring will be available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 6, Lipscomb 1
1. Oliver Strecker/Daniel Hernandez (LIP) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) - 9-8 (7-5)
2. Stephen Crofford/Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Tanner Brown/Miguel Cortez (LIP) - 8-6
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Jackson Tresnan/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. David Salazar (LIP) - 6-2, 7-5
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) - 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) - 6-3, 6-3
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Miguel Cortez (LIP) - 7-5, 1-6, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) - 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-