Chattanooga jumped out to a 1-0 lead with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Head Coach Carlos Garcia shuffled his lineup, pairing juniors Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India.) at No. 1 and juniors William Disterdick (Hixson, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) at No. 2 for the first time this spring.
Vieira and Disterdick went 3-0 in the fall, winning the UTC Steve Baras Gold Draw in October. They improved to 4-0 as a pair with an 8-3 win today. Smith and Chopra clinched the point with their 8-5 victory.
Sophomores Jordan Faith (Denver, Colo.) and Orlando Lourenco (Hixson, Tenn.) took the court at No. 3 in their first action of the spring. Tied at 7-7 and the doubles point already decided, they won the tiebreaker 7-2.
Singles play took just under 90 minutes with Smith leading the way at No. 2. He improved to 6-2 in the spring with a (6-2, 6-2) win over Matt Fuery at No. 2. Junior Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) only dropped one game in his match at No. 6, getting his first singles win of the year.
Vieira clinched the team win with a (6-3, 6-2) win over Constantin Witten at No. 1. Junior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) continued the sweep with straight-set wins at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively.
The only match that was contested was junior Jackson Tresnan's (Apopka, Fla.) No. 4 bout against Alexey Kavalenka. Tresnan took the first set 6-3, but quickly fell behind 0-3 in the second frame. He won the next four games to retake control of the match and get back on-serve. Leading 5-4, he blasted an ace up the middle on match point for an exclamation point on his seventh win of the season.
The Mocs will be back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 25 against Kennesaw State. Match time is set for 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) at the Champions Club in Chattanooga. This will be a double-header with the women's team. Admission is free and a link for live scoring will be available on the men's tennis schedule on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, North Alabama 0
1. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) def. Matt Fuery/Alexey Kavalenka (UNA) - 8-5
2. William Disterdick/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Rob Whitsitt/Constantin Witten (UNA) - 8-3
3. Jordan Faith/Orlando Lourenco (UTC) def. Mirko Sommerfield/Jonathan Vick (UNA) - 8-7 (7-2)
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Constantin Witten (UNA) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Matt Fuery (UNA) - 6-2, 6-2
3. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Mirko Sommerfield (UNA) - 6-0, 6-2
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Alexey Kavalenka (UNA) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Rob Whitsitt (UNA) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Jonathan Vick (UNA) - 6-1, 6-0