Chattanooga jumped out to a 1-0 lead, winning all three doubles matches. Only junior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) and freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) were challenged in the first three matches. They won their No. 3 bout 8-6 to improve to 4-3 as a tandem.
The Mocs continued their strong play, winning the first set in five of the six singles matches. Grigorjevs was first off the court, defeating Alexander Pena (6-4, 6-4) at No. 6. Junior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) gave the Mocs a 3-0 lead with his (6-3, 6-3) win at No. 3.
The Owls tried to climb back in the match, winning at No. 3 and forcing a third set in two other matches. Junior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) put the match out of reach with his three-set win at No. 1. He moves to 10-7 overall and 6-3 in the spring.
Tresnan and fellow junior Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) also had singles wins today. Smith moves to 7-2 in the spring while Tresnan leads the team with an 8-1 spring tally.
The Mocs are back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 29, hosting Jacksonville State at the Champions Club. This match was originally scheduled as a road trip to Jacksonville, Ala., but has been moved to the Scenic City. Action begins at 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T) and will be another double-header with the women's teams. Live scoring for both matches will be available on GoMocs.com
Chattanooga 6, Kennesaw State 1
1. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) def. Gianni Kubin/Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 8-4
2. Roberto Vieira/Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Louis Theodor/Alex Toliver (KSU) 8-2
3. Jackson Tresnan/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Simon Janik/Alexander Pena (KSU) 8-6
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Alex Toliver (KSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Louis Theodor (KSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Simon Janik (KSU) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Gianni Kubin (KSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 7-6 (10-6)
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Alexander Pena (KSU) 6-4, 6-4