Rain suspended the Mocs' match with the Bulldogs on Saturday with the score tied at 3-3. The teams played the singles matches first, trying to beat the heavy rain in the forecast. UTC took leads in two of the three doubles before the rains came and ended the day.
Chattanooga was on the court this morning at 9:30 a.m. (E.D.T.) and quickly swept the three doubles to win the point and the match. It was the 12th win of the season for UTC, tying for the most since the 2008 season.
There was no rest for the weary as the Mocs traveled across town for a 1:00 p.m. match against the College of Charleston. UTC lost all three doubles matches in what would be a very long day of tennis. Freshman Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) tied the match at 1-1 with his (7-6 (7-2), 6-1) win over Brive Allanic at No. 5.
The skies then opened up for the second straight day, sending the action into a two-hour rain delay.
Teams got back on the court around 6:00 p.m. and the Cougars went back up 2-1 with a win at No. 1. Another 15 minute delay pushed the match back even further with all four remaining bouts in a third set.
CofC closed out the match with wins at No. 3 and No. 6. Junior Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) won his 10th straight with a (5-7, 6-3, 6-4) comeback win over Tom Delme at No. 2. Barroetavena leads the team with a 17-6 overall record and is a perfect 6-0 in SoCon matches.
"I am as proud of my guys for their effort today as I have ever been in my career," stated head coach Carlos Garcia. "We came here a man down and battled as hard as we could on a very tough day. I hated to see a team lose, but we played as well as we could."
The Mocs were without their No. 1 player in junior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) who is out with a foot injury, but still managed a split. UTC's three SoCon wins are already more than any of the previous three seasons. The Cougars remain unbeaten in SoCon play at 4-0 and improve their overall record to 9-3.
Chattanooga returns home for a pair of matches this weekend. The Mocs host Wofford at the UTC Tennis Courts at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 31. UTC welcomes Davidson to the Baylor School courts on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Links for live scoring for both matches are available on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 4, The Citadel 3
1. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) def. David Orces/James Atkinson (CIT) - 8-7 (7-4)
2. M. Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Dillon Berkabile/Peter Bleach (CIT) - 8-4
3. Stephen Crofford/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Alex Howle/Elliott Sperr (CIT) - 8-6
1. David Orces (CIT) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-4, 6-2
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Josh Cook (CIT) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. James Atkinson (CIT) - 6-4, 6-2
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) - 7-5, 6-0
5. Peter Bleach (CIT) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Elliott Sperr (CIT) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-3, 6-3
College of Charleston 5, Chattanooga 2
1. Kyle Parker/Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Ankit Chopra/Chris Smith (UTC) - 8-4
2. Tom Delme/Alon Faiman (COFC) def. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 8-3
3. Stephen Hardy/Billy Kenny (COFC) def. Stephen Crofford/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) - 8-4
1. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Chris Smith (UTC) - 6-4, 6-4
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Tom Delme (COFC) - 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
3. Kyle Parker (COFC) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Crescente Lesser (COFC) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) - 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
5. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Brice Allanic (COFC) - 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
6. Alon Faiman (COFC) def. Stephen Crofford (UTC) - 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5