2012-13 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
High Point (4-6) at Chattanooga (3-8)
Game 12 | Friday, Dec. 28, 2012 | 7 p.m. | McKenzie Arena | Chattanooga, Tenn.
RADIO: The Mocs Sports Network flagship station is ESPN 105.1 FM the Zone in Chattanooga. Jim Reynolds is in his 33rd year as the play-by-play "Voice of the Mocs".
MOCSVISION: Video (PPV) and audio (free) are available online at GoMocs.com via MocsVision. Links for video, audio and live stats are available on the men's basketball schedule page.
PROMOTIONS: 23rd Dr Pepper Classic
The consolation and championship rounds of the Dr Pepper Classic Saturday, December 28. The consolation game is at 4:30 p.m., followed by the title contest at 7.
UTC MOCS CLUB/ALUMNI EVENT IN ATLANTA JANUARY 2nd
The UTC Mocs Club and the UTC Alumni Association are hosting a pregame reception for all fans at STATS restaurant in Atlanta prior to the UTC-Georgia Tech men's basketball game. The event begins at 5 p.m. and concludes at 6:30. The cost to attend the reception is $25 and includes an appetizer buffet of cheeseburger sliders, spinach and artichoke dip, roasted vegetables and spicy buffalo wings, as well as one drink ticket. There is a cash bar during the event. We are also offering a package where you can attend the reception and get a game ticket for $35. To RSVP, contact the UTC Mocs Club office at 423-425-4233, or click here to sign up online. The last day to RSVP is December 28th.
- 23rd Dr Pepper Classic. The annual holiday event began in 1990 with Chattanooga defeating San Francisco (92-79) and UC Irvine (88-68). The Mocs have won 14 of the 23 titles and played in 22 Championship games.
- UTC has won three of the last four Dr Pepper Classic.
- The Mocs are 36-8 (.818), 21-1 (.955) in the opening round.
- First meeting with High Point.
- Chattanooga has been tough on the glass to open the season. The squad leads the SoCon in rebounding margin (+8.1). That ranks No. 26 in the country.
- UTC also leads in offensive rebound percentage claiming 39.8 percent of its own misses. That equates to 15.3 offensive boards per contest which ranks tied for 11th in the nation through Tuesday's games.
- The Mocs have grabbed 10 or more offensive rebounds in every game this season. It marks 18 games in a row with 10 or more for the team dating back grabbing eight at Davidson last February. The last time there were 19 straight was a stretch of 23 games from Jan. 13, 1992 through Dec. 19, 1993.
- Chattanooga has out-boarded opponents by 10 or more five times thus far with a high of 30 against Reinhardt the last time out. The plus-21 at Kennesaw State is the top margin against a DI opponent.
- UTC shot a season-best 56.8 percent (52-74) from the field against Reinhardt. It is just the second time the squad has topped the 50 percent mark (51.2% at Kennesaw State) in 2012-13.
- The Mocs were especially good inside the three-point line against the Eagles. They made 39 of 61 (63.9%) inside the arc. It marked the fifth time the team took less than 15 three-pointers in a contest this season.
- Stat leaders over last 5 games:
Points: Z. Mason, 12.8 ppg
Rebounds: Z. Mason, 7.2 rpg
Assists: Ronrico White, 3.4 apg
Blocks: Z. Mason, 1.4 bpg
Steals: Ronrico White, 1.6 spg
FG%: Drazen Zlovaric, 57.1%
3pt%: Z. Mason, 36.4%
FT%: Ronrico White, 83.3%
- Last six games for Z. Mason: 13.0 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game shooting 54.4 percent from the field, 36.4 percent from three-point range.
- Last seven games for Gee McGhee: 12.3 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.1 steals per game shooting 41.2 percent from the floor (28-68) and 37.9 percent three-point range (11-29).
- McGhee has played 23 or more minutes in every game with a high of 31 (Troy/EKU). He is the only student-athlete on the squad to do so averaging a team-best 27.5 minutes per contest. Mason is second at 25.2 minutes per game.
- White is 15th in the SoCon in assists per game (2.6 apg). He has 15 over the last four games, 3.8 per game. He had 14 in the first seven (2.0).
DR PEPPER CLASSIC HISTORY
- UTC is 36-6 all-time in the Dr Pepper Classic.
- The Mocs are 21-1 in opening round games.
- Chattanooga has 14 Dr Pepper Classic Championships.
- Austin Peay dropped a 77-62 decision to UTC in the 2000 title tilt.
- The Mocs beat Utah Valley last season's championship game 74-59.
- Chattanooga's last nine tourney wins have all been by double digits.
SCOUTING THE PANTHERS
- High Point enters at 4-6.
- Scott Cherry is 44-58 in his fourth season at the helm.
- The Panthers are 2-0 against Southern Conference opponents. They opened the season with an 81-73 win at home over UNCG and followed with a convincing 86-64 triumph at Appalachian State.
- One common opponent thus far: Eastern Kentucky. The Panthers dropped a narrow 73-70 decision at home to the Colonels.
- John Brown's 18.1 points per game pace the High Point attack. Virginia Tech transfer Allen Chaney adds 13.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per contest.
- High Point averages 72.9 points per game while allowing 66.2. It out-rebounds opponents at a 3.3 board per contest clip. It is shooting 43.0 percent from the floor including 27.1 percent from beyond the arc, while allowing 41.1 percent to its opposition, 37.6 percent from three-point range.
- The Panthers have hit 78.1 percent of their free throw attempts to date.
The Chattanooga Mocs lost a legend on Nov. 14, 2012 as former Head Coach Murray Arnold passed away in Florida. He laid the DI championship foundation coaching for six years, 1980-85, with a 135-46 record. He coached collegiately at four institutions (Birmingham Southern, Western Kentucky and Stetson) amassing a 420-229 mark in 22 seasons. The Mocs captured four SoCon Championships in six UTC campaigns advancing to three NCAA Tournaments and two NITs reaching the Elite 8 (NIT) in 1985 and narrowly missing the NCAA Sweet 16 in 1982.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GoMocs) or on Twitter (@GoMocsMBB & @GoMocs). Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.