CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--- The Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team begins the 2013-14 season Monday at the Cardinal Cup at the Cardinal Club in Simpsonville, Ky. The 54-hole event starts with 36 holes tomorrow and ends with a final 18 on Tuesday.
Colette Murray’s Mocs have high expectations. It is the start of a busy stretch for the squad.
“We changed up our schedule a bit this year with a few more 36/18’s (two-day tournaments),” Murray stated. “So we’ll be able to play more tournaments, which is good. We’re looking for a good start at Louisville and try to get wins in the fall.
“It’s going to be a very fast fall with five tournaments in as many, if not less, weeks.”
The travel squad includes all six team members. Senior Jordan Britt (Chattanooga), juniors Agathe Sauzon (Valence, France), Mette Kryger (Nivaa, Denmark) and sophomores Emily McLennan (Queensland, Australia) and Isabella Loza (Bucaramanga, Colombia) make up the first five of 2013-14, while Porsche Campbell (Vancouver, Canada) is playing as an individual.
CARDINAL CUP – SEPT. 16-17
Chattanooga, Ball State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois State, Kansas, Louisville, Marshall, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Murray State, Northern Kentucky, USF
Dates: Sept. Sept. 16-17
Location: Simpsonville, Ky.
Format: 54 Holes (36/18)
Course: Cardinal Club (Par 72/6,253 yards)
No. of Teams: 13
2012 Champion: Louisville, +32, 294-297-305=896
Medalist: Emily Haas , Louisville, -7, 69-69-71=209
LAST TIME OUT
This is UTC’s first event of the 2013-14 season. It completed 2012-13 with an appearance in the NCAA East Regional. It was the six NCAA Postseason berth in the program’s six years of existence.
UTC is off to Knoxville next weekend for the Mercedes-Benz Woman’s Championship. This year’s event moves from Holston Hills Country Club to Cherokee Country Club. It’s played Friday-Sunday, Sept. 20-22.
• Chattanooga is about as experienced as any college squad could hope to be with balance throughout the lineup. It features one senior, three juniors and two sophomores. All five starters are back from last year’s Southern Conference Champions with all six having experience winning the league title and playing in NCAA Regionals.
• UTC has won four straight conference titles and competed in six consecutive NCAA Regionals in the six years of the program’s existence.
• Junior Agathe Sauzon (Valence, France) is entering her first full season after joining the program in January of 2013. In her brief time, she won her first collegiate event (SoCon Champ.) and earned all-league honors.
• Sauzon is not the only SoCon Champion on the roster. Senior Jordan Britt (Chattanooga) won 2012 medalist honors and is a two-time all-league pick (2012, 2013).
• Sophomore Emily McLennan (Queensland, Australia) is the reigning SoCon Freshman of the Year. She joined Sauzon and Britt on the 2013 All-SoCon squad.
• Sophomore Isabella Loza (Bucaramanga, Colombia) came on strong during the spring portion of the schedule. She was the squad’s low scorer in three spring tourneys with her best finish coming at the SoCon Championship, tying for 12th.
• Junior Mette Kryger (Nivaa, Denmark) is a seasoned performer for Chattanooga. She had three top 5’s during her summer schedule.
• Junior Porsche Campbell (Vancouver, Canada) is playing as an individual. Her career-best 18 (72) and 54-hole (230) total came in the same role in last year’s event.
• This is the second entry into the Cardinal Cup for Chattanooga. The Mocs finished third last year with virtually the same lineup. UTC ended up five shots behind Louisville shooting 901.
• Cardinal Cup History:
Year: Team Finish & Scores/Top Individual
2012: 3/300-301-300=901/Marion Duvernay, T4, 72-75-72=219 (+3)
Current Mocs at Cardinal Club:
Jordan Britt, T14, 77-74-73=224
Emily McLennan, T21, 73-76-78=227
Mette Kryger, T41, 79-76-77=232
Isabella Loza, T59, 78-83-78=239
(I) Porsche Campbell, T33, 72-79-79=230
• Notes from last year’s event:
- Chattanooga was better on the front nine than the back, nearly twice as good. The 37-over total included a +13 effort on holes 1-9 and +24 on the backside. Nearly half of that came in the second nine holes of the tournament (+10).
- UTC posted 23 birdies over the 54 holes. Britt (7), Campbell (7) and McLennan (6) all tallied six or more.
- The Mocs had 141 pars with Britt (36) and Kryger (36) leading the way.
- Chattanooga’s breakdown by hole type: Par 3 (+15), Par 4 (+16) and Par 5 (+6).