UNCG at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday – Jan. 25, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs scored their 10th-straight win with a 77-67 victory over UNCG tonight. UTC improved to 14-8 overall and 8-0 in SoCon action. UNCG drops to 10-12 and 3-4 in league play.
- This is just the 9th 10-game winning streak in school history…first since the 1996-97 season when the Mocs advanced to the Sweet 16…UTC won 11 in a row late in that season.
- The Mocs are 8-0 in SoCon action for the first time since the 1984-85 season when they ran out to a 9-0 record in league play. Chattanooga was 10-0 to start the 1981-82 league slate. Mocs were picked to finish seventh in the league in the preseason.
- UTC has a 1.5-game lead over second-place Davidson (10-11, 6-1 SoCon) in the SoCon race…The Mocs next game is at Davidson on Thursday, Jan. 30.
- Tonight’s attendance was 6,648…biggest crowd at the Roundhouse since Stephen Curry and Davidson visited Chattanooga on Jan. 28, 2009 (9,234)…fifth largest crowd since the 2000-01 season…largest home crowd in the SoCon this season.
- Chattanooga’s men’s and women’s teams have won a combined 23 straight games (Men 10/Women 13)…second-longest combined streak in the nation (Wichita State 35 – Men 21/Women14).
- The Mocs have won four-straight games by 10+ points for the first time since the 2009-10 season…first time since 1998-99 that has happened in SoCon play.
- UTC was outrebounded (39-33) for the first time in four games…just the second time in SoCon play…Mocs are 2-7 when getting outrebounded.
- UTC forced 18 turnovers and turned them into 29 points…UNCG got 13 points on 12 Chattanooga miscues.
- Led by Ronrico White’s 11 points, the Mocs bench outscored UNCG’s reserves 20-11.
- Chattanooga used a 10-4 spurt of the last 5:40 of the first half to take a 39-28 lead into the locker room. Mocs are 12-1 when leading at the half.
- UNCG exploded out the break on a 12-1 run to tie the game at 40 with 16:32 to play…Mocs started the second half 0-4 with two turnovers in the first four minutes…UNCG was 7-7 to open the second half.
- The Spartans shot 16-28 (57.1%) from the field in the second half.
- The Mocs led 63-61 after a Tevon Saddler layup for UNCG with 4:45 left…Spartans were 1-6 from the field the rest of the way. Mocs closed on a 14-6 run.
- UTC is 13-0 when leading with five minutes to play.
- Chattanooga is 8-2 in games decided by 10 points or less. Won eight in a row in that category.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 12 points on 4-11 shooting, 2-7 from 3-pt. range and 2-2 from the FT line. .
- 12th game in double-figures this season.
Casey Jones – So.-G
- Team-high 22 points on 7-10 shooting, 8-12 from the FT line.
- Five steals tied for the most by a Moc this season.
- Game-high five assists…tied for most by a Moc this season.
- Added three assists and four boards.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- 15 points, six boards and three blocks.
- Shot 5-12 from the floor, 1-3 from 3-pt. range and 4-4 from the FT line.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- 11 points on 3-9 shooting, 2-8 from 3-pt. range and 3-4 from the FT line.
- Added a game-high four assists.