By Adam Stephens
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to visiting Belmont at the Hixson Racquet Club tonight. The Mocs fall to 1-4 with the loss while the Bruins improve to 1-3.
Due to experimental rules put into place during nonconference matches, once either team scored four points and clinched the win, the rest of the matches would end and be recorded as unfinished.
Chattanooga dropped two of its doubles bouts, giving the point to the Bruins. The Mocs No. 2 team of sophomore Gino Delavalle and junior Pavels Grigorjevs showed fire and took down Belmont’s of Nardelli and Verberne 6-2.
“Belmont did a great job of getting the momentum with the doubles point,” head coach Carlos Garcia said. “Their top guys are tough and jumped on us pretty quickly.”
Singles action proved no more fruitful for Chattanooga, dropping three matches in a row. Sophomores Luke Saunders and John Peacey showed signs of intensity, winning their first set and taking their opponents to a third frame.
“Luke is a very good starter,” Garcia said. “That’s something we’re working on is for him to finish. He’s notorious at playing a great first set but unfortunately it does take two sets to win. But he has given himself a chance and it’s helping our team by getting the first set quick.”
Chattanooga has to rebound quickly and prepare for Sunday’s action at the Hixson Racquet Club. The Mocs take on the Murray State Racers at 10:00 a.m. (E.S.T.). A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
“It’s a long season,” Garcia said. “It’s a marathon not a sprint. We’re looking forward to playing the Racers on Sunday.”
Chattanooga 0 Belmont 4
1. Mauricio Antun/Marko Lovrinovic (BELM) def. John Peacey/Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-4
2. Gino Delavalle/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Hans Nardelli/Martijn Verberne (BELM) 6-2
3. Henrik Claesson/Cedric Dujacquier (BELM) def. Austin Boaz/Luke Saunders (UTC) 6-1
1. Mauricio Antun (BELM) def. Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Marko Lovrinovic (BELM) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Luke Saunders (UTC) vs. Cedric Dujacquier (BELM) 6-3, 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
4. Martijn Verberne (BELM) def. Gino Delavalle (UTC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
5. John Peacey (UTC) vs. Henrik Claesson (BELM) 6-5 (9-7), 4-6, 0-1, unfinished
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) vs. Hans Nardelli (BELM) 2-6, 6-4, 4-1, unfinished