The Chattanooga Mocs women’s tennis team welcomes UAB to the UTC Tennis Courts on Friday, Feb. 28. First serve against the Blazers is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) and a link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
The UAB match was supposed to be the second for the Mocs this week, but cold temperatures postponed today’s men’s and women’s doubleheader with the Lee University. A makeup date with the Flames will be posted on GoMocs.com once it is determined.
Chattanooga is on a two-match winning streak and 6-2 overall. The Blazers face Samford today before making their trip to Chattanooga on Friday. They are currently 4-4 overall and have also won two in a row.
This is the fourth time in the last five years these two teams will meet in non-conference action. Chattanooga snapped a six match losing streak to the Blazers with last year’s 5-1 win in Birmingham. UAB still holds a 10-7 advantage in the series that dates back to 1981.
Kaylene Chadwell, Kayla Jones, Claire Mulyadi and Katie Polk all had singles wins in last year’s meeting. Doubles matches were not played due to inclement weather. Rachel Daniell, Amy Lowther and Elaine Simon are returners for the Blazers who competed in last year’s match.
Chattanooga 5, UAB 1
Feb 21, 2013 at Birmingham, Ala. (George Ward Park)
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) - 6-3, 6-1
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) - 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) - 6-3, 6-0
4. Caroline Faught (UAB) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) - 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) - 6-4, 6-4
6. Katie Polk (UTC) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) - 7-5, 6-2