(Photo Credit: Todd Drexler/GoMocs.com): Liam Johnston and the Chattanooga Mocs enter the 2014 Southern Conference Championship as the two-time defending champion
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.---The Chattanooga Mocs head into the 2014 Southern Conference Championship with a singular focus. The sights are set on the automatic bid that comes with winning the league title.
“We’re right on the cutline for a bid to NCAA Regionals,” Head Coach Mark Guhne stated. “It’s tight. A top two finish at the SoCon probably gets it done, but why take the chance. It’s time for this team to put it all together for 54 holes.
“I believe we’ll do just that against what’s proven to be a good league this season.”
The Mocs actually enter as the third highest-ranked team with Georgia Southern and UNCG just ahead of them at No. 47 and 59, respectively. Chattanooga checks in at No. 64, while Davidson also ranks in the top 100 right on the number at No. 100.
This year’s championship moves to National Golf Club in Pinehurst, N.C. It’s a Jack Nicklaus-designed tract. Live scoring is available at the link above and on the men’s golf schedule page on GoMocs.com. Follow @GoMocsMGLF on twitter for updates and notes from the championship.
SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP – APRIL 20-22
TOURNAMENT FIELD (Top 100 Rankings)
Appalachian State, (64) CHATTANOOGA, (100) Davidson, Elon, Furman, (47) Georgia Southern, (59) UNCG, Samford, Western Carolina, Wofford
Liam Johnston (73.17), Wes Gosselin (73.52), Chris Robb (73.82), Davis Bunn (74.14), Ewan Scott (74.24)
LAST TIME OUT
Davis Bunn tied for ninth at -1 (215) to lead the Mocs to a tie for 5th at the Old Waverly Collegiate. The squad followed an opening round 295 by shooting 283 and 289.
Chattanooga turns its eyes to the NCAA Championship selection show May 5 at 9 p.m.
• The Mocs have won the last two and five of the last seven Southern Conference Championships. The program has won six all-time (1987, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013).
• Two Chattanooga student-athletes have captured medalist honors: Donnie Green (+5, 1978) and Stephan Jaeger (-9, 2012).
• Mocs SoCon Tourney finishes under Guhne:
Year: Finish/Scores/Top Ind.
2006: 3rd/287-302-294=883/Ledford, 10th, 220
2007: 1st/293-280-291=864/Hodge, T2, 214
2008: 1st/290-281-294=865/Rickett, T2, 215
2009: 1st/279-287-286=852/Qvicker, T2, 211
2010: 7th/295-294-298=887/Rende, T24, 221
2011: 3rd/287-288-292=867/Fox, T4, 214
2012: 1st/294-286-281=861/Jaeger, 1st, 207
2013: 1st/298-290-296=884/Fox, T2, 217
• SoCon Championship Record for Chattanooga:
1: 279, 2009/66, Stephan Jaeger, 2012
2: 280, 2007/67, Nick Bamber, 2002
3: 281, 2012/66, Rocky Mankin, 2001
Total: 852, 2009/207, 2012
• Liam Johnston leads the team in scoring (73.17), par 3 scoring (3.16), par 5 scoring (4.79) and is tied with Davis Bunn in par or better rounds with 12.
• Wes Gosselin is second to Johnston at 73.52 strokes per round. He leads the Mocs in par 4 scoring (4.11) and birdies (3.18). Gosselin boats the top average of the spring slate (73.33).
• Chris Robb is the squad leader in pars (11.14) and fewest bogeys (2.86).
• Just 1.07 shots per round separates Johnston and five-man Ewan Scott’s stroke averages.
• Only Bunn and Scott have started all 10 team tournaments thus far.
• Scott’s recovered from a tough start to his collegiate career quite well. He averaged 77.25 over his first eight cards. That’s dropped to 73.10 over his last 21. That’s second only to Gosselin (72.90) over that stretch over that stretch.
• Chattanooga has six par or better rounds on the season after the opening with a five-under par 283 at the Old Waverly Collegiate.
• The Mocs look like they are peaking at the right time. Over the last nine rounds, the squad is averaging 291.11 strokes per round. Take out the 306 ending the Linger Longer Invite and that’s a 289.25 strokes per 18.
• Chattanooga set a new high for birdies on the counting cards over the last two events with 39 at the Linger Longer (tied AutoTrader) topped by 41 at Old Waverly.
• The Mocs have depth in the lineup with multiple top 10’s this season for six different student-athletes. Johnston, Robb and Brooks Thomas each have three to lead the way.
• Best scores of 2013-14:
1: 283, Linger Longer/68, Liam Johnston, L. Longer
2: 273, AutoTrader/67, 4 times
3: 284, Palmetto/68, Chris Robb, Palmetto
Total: 855, AutoTrader/208, L. Johnston, AutoTrader
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.