UTC is off to its best start since 1991. The Lady Mocs have been dominating opponenets, only allowing one point in the first six contests. Chattanooga is 35-1 in singles and has lost a total of six sets in those 36 matches. UTC is also an impressive 15-3 in doubles.
The Skyhawks were picked second in the Ohio Valley Conference preseason poll and have advanced to the tournament championship in each of the last two seasons. However, they fall to 0-2 in the spring with today's loss.
"It was a solid effort," stated UTC women's tennis head coach Jeff Clark. "We played really well in singles. We were pushed in a few spots, but responded well. I think we definitely got better today."
The Lady Mocs jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point for the sixth-straight match. UTC won two of three doubles, led by freshmen Kelsey Coots (Huntsville, Ala.) and Kayla Jones' (Memphis, Tenn.) 8-2 win over Ivon Simic and Anna Marie Herbold at No. 1. Coots and Jones improve to 5-1 at No. 1 with their fifth-straight doubles win.
Senior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and sophomore Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) also improved to 5-1 in the spring with an 8-2 win over Katie McCall and Johanie van Zyl at No. 2. Nurik and Chadwell are 9-2 overall as a doubles tandem this season.
Coots breezed through her singles match at No. 4 and was first off the court with a (6-1, 6-0) win over van Zyl. Coots improved to 6-0 in singles play and has only dropped five games in her last two outings combined.
Nurik gave the Lady Mocs a 3-0 lead with her (6-1, 6-2) win over Simic at No. 1. Nurik, the reigning Southern Conference Player of the Week, is 6-0 in singles action. Chadwell clinched the match with a (6-0, 6-2) win over Herbold at No. 2.
Jones, sophomore Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) and freshman Katie Polk (Woodstock, Ga.) also won in singles action today. Mulyadi bounced back from an illness earlier in the week to score a three-set win over Alice Laing (6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)) and remain unbeaten at 6-0.
The Lady Mocs hit the road for their next match, Thursday, Feb. 21 at UAB in Birmingham, Ala. UTC's next home match is Saturday, Feb. 23, at 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) against Jacksonville State on the UTC Tennis Courts. Links for live scoring are available on the women's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, UT Martin 0
Feb 17, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Kelsey Coots/Kayla Jones (UTC) def. SIMIC, Ivon/HERBOLD, Anna Marie (UTM) - 8-1
2. Kaylene Chadwell/Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. McCALL, Katie/VAN ZYL, Johanie (UTM) - 8-2
3. WINKELMANN, Anna/LAING, Alice (UTM) def. Claire Mulyadi/Katie Polk (UTC) - 8-2
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. SIMIC, Ivon (UTM) - 6-1, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. HERBOLD, Anna Marie (UTM) - 6-0, 6-2
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. WINKELMANN, Anna (UTM) - 7-5, 6-0
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. VAN ZYL, Johanie (UTM) - 6-1, 6-0
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. LAING, Alice (UTM) - 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Katie Polk (UTC) def. SILVA, Jessica (UTM) - 6-2, 6-0