The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team scored a 4-3 win over Samford on Senior Day at the UTC Tennis Courts this afternoon. The Lady Mocs closed out the regular season with a 17-4 overall record and a 6-4 mark in Southern Conference action.
Chattanooga’s 17 wins are the most for the program since going 17-6 in 1999. The Lady Mocs grabbed the No. 6 seed in next week’s SoCon Tournament in Elon, N.C. They open with a first round match against No. 11 Western Carolina on Thursday, April 18, at 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the Burlington Tennis Center.
UTC came out hot in today’s match, sweeping the doubles point. Freshmen Kayla Jones (Memphis, Tenn.) and Katie Polk (Woodstock, Ga.) opened with an 8-1 win over Carita Moolman and Adri Lochner at No. 3. It was their fifth-straight win in doubles action as they improved to 5-0 as a tandem.
Junior Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) and Kelsey Coots (Huntsville, Ala.) clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Kristin Lewis and Emily Mallory at No. 1. Coots and Flynn trailed 4-0 before storming back for the win. They improved to 8-0 as a pair, including a 6-0 record in SoCon action.
Senior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.), playing in her last home match, teamed with sophomore Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) to close out doubles action with an 8-5 win over Stephanie N’tcha and Jessica Northcutt at No. 2.
Nurik kept the momentum going in UTC’s favor with a quick (6-2, 6-1) win over Lewis at No. 1. She is 16-4 in spring action, 6-4 in SoCon play and 21-10 in singles overall.
Jones put UTC up 3-0 with her (6-2, 6-2) win over Northcutt at No. 2. She has a team-high 29-5 overall record, 18-3 in the spring and 7-3 in SoCon action. Samford closed the gap to 3-2 with wins at No. 2 and No. 4. At the same time, Coots was in a tight battle with Mallory at No. 5. Coots won the first set 6-3, but lost the second in a tiebreaker.
Sophomore Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) took the pressure off, but clinching the team win at No. 6. She dropped her first set 6-4, but won 12 of the next 14 games to score a (4-6, 6-2, 6-0) three-set win over AnnMarie Lyon.
Coots and Mallory’s second set ended just as Mulaydi clinched the team win for UTC. Mallory went on to take the third-set super-breaker 10-5 to win at No. 5.
Chattanooga 4, Samford 3
Apr 13, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Courts)
1. Alexa Flynn/Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Kristin Lewis/Emily Mallory (SAM) 8-5
2. Jenna Nurik/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Stephanie N'tcha/Jessica Northcutt (SAM) 8-5
3. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Carita Moolman/Adri Lochner (SAM) 8-1
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. Kristin Lewis (SAM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Stephanie N'tcha (SAM) def. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Jessica Northcutt (SAM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Carita Moolman (SAM) def. Alexa Flynn (UTC) 6-4, 0-6, 6-0
5. Emily Mallory (SAM) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 3-6, 7-6 (10-8), 1-0 (10-5)
6. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. AnnMarie Lyon (SAM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)