Grand Canyon at Chattanooga
2013 Dr Pepper Classic – Game 2
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Sunday - Dec. 29, 2013
- The Chattanooga Mocs scored a 69-64 win over Grand Canyon in the second game of the Dr Pepper Classic…UTC improved to 5-8 overall while GCU dropped to 5-7.
- Maine defeated Middle Tennessee 89-85 in the first game.
- The Mocs ran out to a 25-12 lead following a layup by Lance Stoke at the 8:48 mark.
- UTC built its first half lead by getting to the rim…seven of first 10 baskets and 14 of 25 points were on layups.
- Grand Canyon used a 9-0 run over the next five minutes to close the gap to 25-21.
- Mocs made 10 of first 20 shots in the first half…3-15 rest of the opening 20 minutes.
- Mocs played the first 10:28 of the game without a turnover…finished with nine…second game in a row with less than 10 turnovers.
- Mocs shot 39.7% (25-63) from the field…first win shooting less than 40% since Utah Valley State on Dec. 29 last season.
- Grand Canyon’s 25 3-pt. FGs is the most by a UTC opponent this season…made 5 (20.0%).
- UTC’s 69 points are the fewest in a win this season.
- Mocs got 30 points off the bench, including White (11), Stokes (10), Bran (5) and Robertson (4).
- Tonight’s attendance of 3,248 is the most since the season opener (4,637) against Covenant.
- Mocs are shooting 68.8% from the FT line this season, but are 49-57 (85.9%) last three games.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 10 points on 3-6 shooting, 2-4 from 3-pt. range and 2-2 from the FT line.
- Tied a career-high with a season-high four assists.
- Made 17 of last 19 FTs.
- Added four boards.
Casey Jones – So.-G
- Career-high five assists.
- Added four points in 26 minutes.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- First action after missing two games with an injury…played a team-high 31 minutes.
- Scored first six points of the game, including an emphatic put-back dunk.
- Finished with a game-high 16 points and 11 boards.
- Third double-double of the season…10th of his career.
- Added four blocks…one off his career-high.
Lance Stokes – Jr.-F
- 10 points off the bench.
- Shot 3-3 from the field and 4-5 form the FT line.
- Third time in double-figures.
- had made 15 of last 17 FTs after starting the season 8-21.
- Added four boards.