Furman at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday – Feb. 1, 2014
- Chattanooga stayed in first place in the SoCon race with a 67-52 win over Furman tonight. The Mocs improved to 15-9 overall and 9-1 in SoCon action. Furman dropped to 7-14 and 1-7 in league play.
- Tonight’s attendance of 5,023 gives the Mocs two crowds of 5K+ in one season for the first time since 2003-04. The last time UTC had back-to-back crowds of 5,000-plus was February 1998 with 6,218 for Furman (2/14/98) and 5,195 for Georgia Southern (2/16/98). The Mocs now lead the league in average attendance at 3,875 per game.
- The Mocs improve to 50-25 all-time against Furman…27-7 at home.
- UTC was a perfect 5-5 from the FT line tonight…season-low for attempts.
- The Mocs had 18 assists on 28 baskets…most assists in SoCon play this season.
- UTC had 10 steals…most in SoCon play this season…fourth time this season with 10+ steals.
- Fifth SoCon win by 10+ points…first time for that mark since the 2008-09 season.
- Furman’s Keith Belfield hit a three with 13:52 left in the first half to pull the Paladins to within 1 at 10-9…UTC responded with an 18-2 run over the next 12 minutes, capped by a Martynas Bareika layup with 3:46 left.
- The Mocs went cold for the last 3:46 of the first half, allowing Furman to get back in the game with an 8-0 run and cutting the lead to 28-19 at the break.
- UTC is 13-1 when leading at the break.
- Furman’s 19 points are the fewest allowed in the first half of a SoCon game by UTC since giving up 16 against Western Carolina on Dec. 4, 2010.
- Chattanooga opened the second half on a 17-4 run, capped by a three-pointer by Martynas Bareika for a 45-23 lead at the 13:59 mark.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 16 points on 6-10 shooting, 4-8 from 3-pt. range.
- Added four boards in 19 minutes.
- Rest of the team was 2-13 from behind the arc.
- He was 2-14 from behind the arc the previous four games coming into tonight.
Casey Jones – So.-F
- Game-high 18 points on 7-12 shooting, 4-4 from the FT line.
- Added two assists and two steals.
- 20 ppg and 61.8% (21-34) from the floor last three games.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Double-double with 10 points and 13 boards.
- 11th this season…one shy of the school record set by Keith Nelson (1990-91) Lance Fulse (1987-88).
- 18 career double-doubles is third all-time at UTC…trails Nelson (23 – 1990-91) and Lance Fulse (21 – 1985-88).
- Became the 19th member of the 1,000-point club tonight.
- Has 1,009 points and passes Ashley Champion (2003-04) for 18th on the Mocs’ all-time scoring list.
- Added five blocks and two assists.
- Also topped 100 career blocks in the game.
- First Moc with 1,000 points , 500 boards and 100 blocks in school history.
- 67 blocks this season passes Otis Donald (1998-99) for second on UTC’s single season list.
- 104 career blocks is fourth all-time at UTC.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- 10 points on 4-7 shooting, 2-4 from the FT line.
- Added four assists in 22 minutes off the bench.
- 30 assists and 12 turnovers at the point this season…24 to 9 A/TO ratio in conference play.