Chattanooga Football Postgame Notes
Chattanooga at Elon
Rhodes Stadium (11,500) – Elon, N.C.
Saturday – Oct. 19, 2013
- The Mocs improve to 5-2 overall and 3-1 in SoCon action with today’s 20-9 win at Elon. The Phoenix drop to 2-6 overall and 1-3 in league action.
- UTC has held its last two opponents without a touchdown, including last week’s 31-9 win against Furman on Homecoming. It is the first time UTC has held back-to-back opponents without a TD since ETSU (22-3) and The Citadel (7-6) on Oct. 6 and 13, 1990.
- Chattanooga ran for 223 yards in the game … its sixth consecutive game with 200+ rushing yards. Longest streak since posting eight in a row in 1991 and 1992.
- Today was win No. 499 for the UTC football program. This is the 106th season of UTC football and the Mocs have an all-time record of 499-505-35 (.497).
- The Mocs limited Elon to 56 yards rushing on 20 carries. It broke a string of four-straight games in which the Phoenix eclipsed 100 yards on the ground.
- Elon held a 3-0 lead following a John Gallagher 19-yard field goal in the first quarter. The Mocs lost the other two games this season when the opponent scored first (UT Martin & Georgia Southern). Chattanooga is 10-16 when its opponent scores first under head coach Russ Huesman.
- Chattanooga was shutout in the first quarter for the second time this season (UT Martin) … Keon Williams scored on a 4-yard TD run on the first play of the second quarter.
- The Mocs were just four of 12 on third-down conversions…UTC came into the game No. 6 in the nation on third-down conversions (51%).
- UTC allowed 237 passing yards…it is just the second time this season the Mocs have allowed more than 200 yards passing. Chattanooga was No. 3 in the nation in pass defense (130.3) coming into the game.
- Elon had 89 yards of offense in the second half.
Wes Dothard – Sr.-LB
- Season-high and game-high 13 tackles.
- First game with 10+ tackles this season…10th of his career.
- Added a PBU.
In the Russ Huesman era (since 2009)
- Overall - 28-23
- vs. SoCon – 20-16
- On the road – 13-14
- vs. SoCon road – 10-8
- vs. Elon 3-2…at Elon 2-1.
- When allowing 14 points or less – 14-0
- When leading after the third quarter – 23-6
- Outrushing opponent – 23-3…5-0 in 2013
- More turnovers than opponent – 4-12
- No TOs caused – 3-5
Tommy Hudson – Jr.-WR
- Season-high six catches.
- 36 receiving yards.
Zach McCarter – Jr.-DB
- Career-high nine tackles.
Nick Pollard – Jr.-K
- 2-2 on field goals…3-4 this season…all in the last two games.
- 2-2 on PATs…30-30 this season.
- Passed Joe Burke (1977-80) for sixth on the Mocs all-time scoring list with 156 career points.
Davis Tull – Jr.-DE
- Set the UTC all-time sack record in the fourth quarter.
- Passes former teammate Josh Williams (2009-12) with 24 in 29 games. Williams posted 23.5 in his four-year career.
- Forced a fumble and added two QBHs.
Keon Williams – Jr.-RB
- Ran a career-high 24 times for 118 yards and two TDs.
- Third-straight game with 100 yards rushing…fifth in last six games…fifth this season and sixth of his career.
- More rushing yards this season (687) than he had in the previous two combined (655).
Kadeem Wise – Sr.-DB
- Tied a career-high with nine tackles.
- Added a PBU.