CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--- The Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team has a quick turnaround this week teeing off tomorrow in Knoxville at the Mercedes-Benz Women’s Championship. The 54-hole event is a three-day affair at Cherokee Country Club with 18 holes per day Friday through Sunday.
Colette Murray noted how quickly the fall season will go for her Mocs.
“It’s going to be a very fast fall with five tournaments in as many, if not less, weeks,” Murray stated. “I was really pleased with Jordan (Britt) and Emily’s (McLennan) starts. We need to get better at the four and five spots in the lineup to get to where this team is capable of going.”
All six team members are scheduled to play in the event. Britt (Chattanooga) and McLennan (Queensland, Australia) are coming off top 10 finishes earlier in the week at the Cardinal Cup just outside Louisville, Ky. Britt finished ninth, while McLennan tied for 10th.
MERCEDES-BENZ WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP – SEPT. 20-22
Chattanooga, Arkansas, Campbell, College of Charleston, Louisville, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Ole Miss, Rollins, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tulane, UCF, UTSA
Dates: Sept. 20-22
Location: Knoxville, Tenn.
Format: 54 Holes - 18 per day
Course: Cherokee Country Club (Par 71/5,897 yards)
No. of Teams: 17
2012 Champion: Penn State, +3, 291-289-287=867
Medalist: Paula Reto, Purdue, -5, 71-71-69=211
LAST TIME OUT
The Mocs claimed third place opening the season at the Cardinal Cup. Jordan Britt (9) and Emily McLennan (T10) claimed top 10’s shooting 220 (-4) and 222 (+6), respectively. The team shot 901 with a low round of 293 on its second 18.
UTC’s whirlwind fall schedule resumes next weekend at the Starmount Fall Classic. The 54-hole, two-day affair is Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at Starmount Forest Country Club in Greensboro, N.C.
• UTC is looking to build on its third-place finish at Louisville earlier in the week. The squad plays its fall slate quickly. It takes just 28 days to play five tournaments (15 rounds - 270 holes).
• The Mocs are a very experienced group with balance throughout the lineup. It features one senior, three juniors and two sophomores. All five starters are back from last year’s Southern Conference Champions with all six having experience winning the league title and playing in NCAA Regionals.
• Chattanooga has won four straight conference titles and competed in six consecutive NCAA Regionals in the six years of the program’s existence.
• Jordan Britt (Chattanooga) got her final year off to a good start finishing ninth at Louisville. It was her fifth career top 10. Her second round 69 (-3) tied her career best (2010 Landfall Tradition) and was the first round in the 60’s by a Moc since Christine Wolf (2008-11) and Emma de Groot (2008-11) each did it on March 13, 2011 in the final round of the JMU Eagle Landing Invitational.
• Britt also tied her career-best 36-hole score shooting 144 (E) on the first day.
• Britt had a career-high 43 pars at the Cardinal Cup.
• The team had a school-record 159 pars recording 50 or more per round with a high of 58 for the second 18.
• Emily McLennan (Queensland, Australia) also notched her fifth top 10 tying for 10th at the Cardinal Cup. Her final round 73 tied for the fifth lowest round of the day under windy conditions. The average score was 78.63.
• Junior Agathe Sauzon (Valence, France) is entering her first full season after joining the program in January of 2013. In her brief time, she won her first collegiate event (SoCon Champ.) and earned all-league honors. She is not the only SoCon Champion on the roster. Britt (Chattanooga) won 2012 medalist honors and is a two-time all-league pick (2012, 2013).
• This is Chattanooga’s fifth entry in the Mercedes-Benz Women’s Championship. The previous stops have been at Fox Den C.C. (2008, 2009) and Holston Hills (2010, 2012). Tourney history:
Year: Team Finish & Scores/Top Individual
2008: T9, 296-302-295=893/Maria Salinas, T10, 73-74-70=217 (+1)
2009: 8, 300-302-305=907/Emma de Groot, T20, 73-72-79=224 (+8)
2010: 7, 300-293-289=882/Christine Wolf, T9, 73-73-70=216 (E)
2012: 14, 311-307-304=922/Jordan Britt, T26, 76-72-74=222 (+6)
Current Mocs in the event (1st time at Cherokee CC):
Rounds, Average, Best Finish
Jordan Britt, 6, 76.2, T26
Emily McLennan, 3, 76.7, T50
Mette Kryger, 3, 80.0, T71
Isabella Loza, 3, 80.0, T71
Porsche Campbell, 3, 82.0, T80
• Notes from last year’s event:
- Posted a season-high 27 birdies for the event.
- The Mocs had 151 par or better holes with one eagle, 27 birdies and 123 pars. Britt had the lone eagle.
- Marion Duvernay had the most birdies (8), while Britt’s 38 pars were also a team high.
- Chattanooga’s breakdown by hole type: Par 3 (+17), Par 4 (+34) and Par 5 (+7).
- Last year’s event was played at Holston Hills C.C.