CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.--- The Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team completes its whirlwind fall schedule in Iowa this weekend at the Diane Thomason Invitational. At tourney end, UTC will have played five events (14 rounds) in a mere 28 days.
“The fall segment of our year has come and gone,” Head Coach Colette Murray said. “We were not pleased with our result at East Carolina. We hope to make up some of the ground we lost at that event this week in Iowa.”
The 54-hole, two-day tourney opens with 36 holes on Saturday before a final 18 on Sunday. Both days begin at 9:30 a.m., Eastern time, with shotgun starts.
This is not the Mocs first foray into Iowa City and Finkbine Golf Course. UTC won the 2007 Hawkeye Invitational by 19 shots over runner-up Wisconsin. It was the squad’s third consecutive win to open the program’s inaugural season.
Click the live scoring link above to access tee times and scoring for the event.
DIANE THOMASON INVITATIONAL - OCT. 12-13
Chattanooga, Campbell, GRU Augusta, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Middle Tennessee, Ohio State, USF, Wisconsin
Dates: Oct. 12-13
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Format: 54 Holes - 36/18
Course: Finkbine Golf Course (Par 72/6,212 yards)
No. of Teams: 12
2012 Champion: DNP
LAST TIME OUT
Chattanooga finished eighth at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate behind a nice effort by Jordan Britt. Britt tied for third shooting +3 for the event. The Mocs shot 304-306-308 for a total of 918.
UTC is off until February 8 for the UGA Indvidual Tournament. The squad returns to action February 17-18 at the Central District Invite.
• The fall schedule ends this weekend. At Sunday’s end, the team will have played five tournaments (14 rounds) in days.
• Chattanooga is making its second appearance at an Iowa fall event. The last visit was the 2007 Hawkeye Invitational also played at Finkbine Golf Course. The Mocs claimed their third consecutive win to open the program’s inaugural season with a 19-stroke win over runner-up Wisconsin.
• Iowa Fall Tourney History:
Year: Team Finish & Scores/Top Individual
2007: 1st/300-298-311=909/Emma de Groot, 2, 72-75-76=223 (+7)
• The Mocs are off to a great start scoring-wise with six of their 11 rounds under 300. Last year’s squad had nine all year (33 rounds). The school record is 11 (2008-09).
• The squad’s scoring average of 298.73 is a record pace. The school record for a season is 301.58 in 2010-11.
• UTC posted three of the best team rounds in school history during the fall slate. The back-to-back 289’s last week at the Starmount Fall Classic tie for sixth-best and were the lowest totals since shooting 278 (-10) in the final round of the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invitational. The 578 (+10) through 36 holes was a new school best topping 581 (+5) at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invitational. The opening round 292 at the Mercedes-Benz Championship is tied for the 12th-best 18 for the Mocs.
• The 876 winning score at the Starmount Fall Classic is third lowest at Chattanooga.
• Britt already set a school season record. She has three eagles which is one better than the previous record of two posted by Agathe Sauzon (2012-13), Mette Kryger (2011-12) and Marion Duvernay (2010-11). Britt had two at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate earlier this week. The five in her career is another record.
• Sauzon and de Groot are the only multiple winners for the Mocs. Sauzon won her second event this fall at the Starmount Fall Classic. Her two wins are in just 11 events.
• Sauzon set new personal bests at Starmount Forest Country Club with low 18 (69), 36 (141) and 54 (210) totals. Her 36-hole 141 tied Christine Wolf’s (2008-11) school record. The 210 was one behind Wolf’s 209 at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invite.
• She was not the only Mocs golfer to set new marks at the event. Britt’s 217 (+4) was her low tourney score as was her 36-hole 142. Emily McLennan also tallied those same bests with 143 through 36 and finishing at 220.
• Britt has two top 5’s (5 career) and three top 10’s (7) in 2013-14.
• UTC has won four straight conference titles and competed in six consecutive NCAA Regionals in the six years of the program’s existence.
• The Mocs are -14 on par 5’s over last eight rounds.
• McLennan paces her squad in birdies (25) and par 3 scoring (3.19).
• Britt is the team leader in scoring (73.18), pars (139), par or better holes (80.8%), fewest bogeys (34), fewest scores higher than bogey (4), par 4 scoring (4.10) and par 5 scoring (4.86).GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.