(Photo Credit: GoMocs.com): and the Chattanooga women’s golf team returns to the Briar’s Creek Invite
JOHNS ISLAND, S.C..---The Chattanooga Mocs women’s golf team is back in action Monday at the Briar’s Creek Invitational. The Golf Club at Briar’s Creek hosts the two-day, 54-hole event.
Thirty-six holes await the Mocs and the 17-team field on Monday, March 24. A final 18 is played on Tuesday. Both days feature a shotgun start with an 8:45 a.m., beginning to the tourney.
It is a talented field heading to the tee Monday morning. While there is one team ranked in the top 15 (No. 11 Clemson), there are six total among the leading 50 in the country and another eight in the top 100 including Chattanooga at No. 72.
Click the live scoring link above to access tee times and scoring for the event.
BRIAR'S CREEK INVITATIONAL
TOURNAMENT FIELD (Top 100 Ranking)
(55) College of Charleston, Charleston Southern, (72) Chattanooga, (11) Clemson, (93) Coastal Carolina, (59) East Carolina, (44) East Tennessee State, (34) GRU Augusta, (48) Illinois, Indiana, (40) Kansas, (90) Maryland, (66) Penn State, (75) Princeton, USF, (69) Texas Tech and (46) Wisconsin
LAST TIME OUT
Jordan Britt finished tied for fourth shooting seven-over par 223 on a tough scoring weekend at the 3M Jaguar Intercollegiate. Her 74.33 stroke average was nearly five better than the tourney number. Chattanooga ended up 11th as a team.
The Mocs return to the Web.com Intercollegiate April 7-8 in Jacksonville, Fla. It is the final tune-up prior to championship season.
• Second year in a row visiting Briar’s Creek for Chattanooga finishing 15th in 2013. Isabella Loza was low tying for 43rd at 236.
• This year’s model is in a fight for the best scoring average in school history. It’s 302.04 is 0.46 behind 2010-11’s 301.58 over 30 rounds.
• The Mocs are closing in on another record with 10 of their 20 rounds under 300. Last year’s squad had nine all year (33 rounds). The school record is 11 (2008-09).
• Chattanooga golfers have four top five finishes over the past four tournaments. Jordan Britt has two of them including last week’s tie for fourth at the 3M Jaguar Intercollegiate.
• Britt’s play in Augusta netted her second Southern Conference Golfer of the Week award of the season. She beat three nationally-ranked opponents including No. 28 Jenny Hahn of Vanderbilt and was just one behind No. 17 Simin Feng (Vandy). It was her fourth top five of 2013-14, seventh career.
• Britt’s final round 72 was her team-best seventh par or better round this season. It was also one of just eight in the 225 cards turned in at the 3M Jaguar Intercollegiate.
• Britt leads the squad in scoring (74.24), pars (11.52), par or better holes (76.4%), fewest bogeys (3.72), fewest others (0.52), par 4 (4.19) and par 5 scoring (4.89). Her current stroke average is the best by a senior all-time at Chattanooga.
• Emily McLennan is also on a school-record pace. Her scoring average of 75.24 is the best by a sophomore currently. She paces the team in birdies (2.36).
• Agathe Sauzon is the leader in par 3 scoring (3.21).
• Britt already set a school season record. She has four eagles which is two better than the previous record posted by Sauzon (2012-13), Mette Kryger (2011-12) and Marion Duvernay (2010-11). Britt had two at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate. The six in her career is another record.
• Britt is second all-time with 17 career par or better rounds. Emma de Groot (2008-11) is first with 32.
• Chattanooga has won four straight conference titles and competed in six consecutive NCAA Regionals in the six years of the program’s existence.
• The Mocs have one win in this season capturing the UNCG Starmount Fall Classic. It won by two over Campbell. It’s the 15th tourney title in the six-plus years of the program.
• Sauzon led the way at Starmount Forest Country Club earning her second win. She tallied a three-under par 210 winning by three strokes. Sauzon and Emma de Groot (2008-11) are the only multiple winners for the Mocs.
• The 876 winning score at the Starmount Fall Classic is third lowest total behind 859 (-5) at the 2011 JMU Eagle Landing Invite and 866 (+2) for the 2009 JMU Eagle Landing Invite.
• The Mocs’ 54-hole mark of 885 at the Central District is tied for seventh-best total in school history.
• Britt won Southern Conference Golfer of the Week February 26 for her play at the Lady Bulldog Individual and Central District Invitational. It is her first conference weekly honor. She previously won 2012 Golfer of the Month for April.
• Best scores of 2013-14:
1: 289, Starmount/70, 4 times, Last: Agathe Sauzon, Central District
2: 289, Starmount/69, Jordan Britt, Cardinal Cup
3: 291, Central District/69, Agathe Sauzon, Starmount
Total: 876, Starmount/210, Agathe Sauzon, Starmount
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.