The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team posted a 5-2 win over The Citadel on Senior Day at the UTC Tennis Courts this afternoon. The Mocs took the doubles point and four singles matches to improve to 10-8 overall and 5-4 in Southern Conference action.
With one match remaining before the SoCon Tournament, today’s win assures the Mocs at least a .500 record in league play for the first time since 2007. It also guarantees a .500 overall record for the second year in a row. The last time the Mocs had back-to-back winning seasons was 2006 & 2007.
Seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) were two of seven seniors to play their final home match today. They improved to 8-1 in SoCon action by opening with an 8-4 win over J.C. Pauli and Dillon Berkabile at No. 3 doubles. They are 12-3 in the spring and 14-7 overall as a tandem.
Fellow seniors Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) clinched the point with their 9-7 win over Peter Bleach and James Atkinson at No. 2. They trailed 7-6 before rallying to take the doubles point and a 1-0 lead.
Barroetavena upped his conference singles record to 7-2 with a quick (6-1, 6-0) win over Berkabile at No. 2. He leads the team with a 14-4 spring record and 21-9 overall tally. The Mocs went up 3-0 after Chopra’s (6-4, 6-2) win over Bleach at No. 3. He improved to 6-3 in SoCon matches, 10-6 in the spring and 15-10 overall.
UTC clinched the win with Tresnan’s (7-6, 6-0) win over Oliver Dedding at No. 4. He is 4-1 at No. 4 and 13-12 overall. UTC’s other point came at No. 1 when senior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) scored a three-set win over David Orces (6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (4)).
The Mocs finish out the regular season with a trip to Georgia Southern on Saturday, April 13. Match time is set for 12:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) and a link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 5, The Citadel 2
Apr 07, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. David Orces/Oliver Dedding (CIT) def. Ankit Chopra/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 8-6
2. Chris Smith/Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Peter Bleach/James Atkinson (CIT) 9-7
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. JC Pauli/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. David Orces (CIT) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 7-6, 6-0
5. Elliott Sperr (CIT) def. John Peacey (UTC) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Jackson Pride (CIT) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,4,6,1,5)