Appalachian State at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena - Chattanooga, Tenn.
Thursday - Jan. 17, 2013
- The Chattanooga Mocs erased a 19-point deficit in the final 6:36 of regulation to force overtime and post a 91-88 win over Appalachian State tonight. UTC improves to 8-10 overall and 3-2 in SoCon action. ASU drops to 7-9 and 3-2 in the league.
- Head Coach John Shulman is now No. 2 all-time at UTC in wins with 140 passing the legendary Ron Shumate (1973-79)...11-8 vs. App State, 9-1 in McKenzie Arena.
- Trailing 64-45 with 6:36 left in the game, UTC closed regulation on a 33-14 run.
- The Mocs went 11-17 from the field, 3-7 from 3-pt. range and 8-8 from the FT line in the final run of regulation.
- UTC grabbed five offensive boards while App. State did not have a defensive rebound in the last five minutes of regulation.
- The Mocs scored on the final 13 possessions of regulation.
- UTC improves to 43-30 all-time against ASU, including 27-7 in Chattanooga...this is the sixth-straight home win in the series for the Mocs.
- This is the second time in three games UTC has overcome a double-digit second half deficit to win. The Mocs were down 10 (54-44, 11:36) last week at The Citadel before winning 70-65 in regulation.
- The Mocs did not get their first lead in the game until the overtime period.
- The 91 points are the most by the Mocs against a Division I opponent this season...ASU's 88 points were a season-high for the Mountaineers.
- Chattanooga improves to 6-4 in overtime games under head coach John Shulman...2-0 at home against Appalachian State...last OT win over the Mountaineers was 78-74 on Jan. 15, 2009.
- ASU hit a season-high 12 3-pt. FGs (12-26 - 46.2%) and 21 assists.
- UTC finished with 16 offensive boards, outscoring ASU 20-10 in second-chance points.
- Tonight was just the second win in 11 games when the Mocs trailed at the half...UTC was 1-9 when trailing with five minutes to play coming into tonight's game.
- Chattanooga improves to 3-0 in games decided by three points or less.
Dontay Hampton (Sr. - G)
- Career-high 22 points on 6-11 shooting, 5-8 from 3-pt. range and 5-7 from the FT line.
- Career-high for threes made and attempted.
- Hit the game-tying 3-pt. FG from NBA range with 18 seconds left in regulation.
- Scored 14 points in the final six minutes of regulation and overtime.
- Third game back since recovering from a knee injury that sidelined him for the first 15 games.
- Averaging 13.7 ppg in three games.
- Added three assists and four rebounds.
Z. Mason (Jr. - F)
- Game-high 23 points.
- Third game this season with 20+ points.
- Shot 8-17 from the field, 2-4 from 3-pt. range and 5-6 from the FT line.
- Added 11 boards for his second double-double of the year...fourth of his career.
- Second 20 & 10 game of the season.
- Career-high 34 minutes for Mason.
- Added two assists and two steals.
Gee McGhee (Fr. - G)
- Tied a career-high with a team-high five assists.
- Career-high 37 minutes.
- Scored eight points on 3-9 shooting, 1-4 from 3-pt. range and 1-2 from the FT line.
- Added five boards.
- Had both of the Mocs' blocks in the game.
Ronrico White (So. - G)
- 17 points on 4-9 shooting and 9-10 from the FT line.
- Tied a career-high with six rebounds.
- Tied a career-high with four steals.
- Added four assists.
Drazen Zlovaric (Sr. - F)
- 10 points on 5-10 shooting.
- Added six boards.
- 10th game in double-figures this season...29th of his career.