The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 match at the College of Charleston this afternoon. The Lady Mocs won the doubles point, but could only manage one singles win in the match. They fall to 16-4 overall and 5-4 in Southern Conference action while the Cougars improve to 15-8 and stay in first in the SoCon at 7-1.
Junior Alexa Flynn (Memphis, Tenn.) and freshman Kelsey Coots (Huntsville, Ala.) came into the match with a 6-0 record at No. 2 doubles. They moved up to No. 1 today and scored a dominating 8-1 win over Kelly Kambourelis and Jenny Falcone.
Cristin Newman and Samantha Maddox responded for the College of Charleston with an 8-3 win over senior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and freshman Jovana Pecovski (Apatin, Serbia) at No. 2. Chattanooga clinched the doubles with Kayla Jones (Memphis, Tenn.) and Katie Polk’s (Woodstock, Ga.) 8-6 win over Irene Viana and Olivia McMillan at No. 3.
The Lady Mocs had not lost a match after winning the doubles point this season, but were without two starters for singles in sophomore Kaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) and Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia).
Flynn scored the only singles win after moving up to No. 3. She defeated Brooke McAmis (6-3, 7-5) for her seventh-straight win. She is 11-2 in the spring, 6-2 in SoCon matches and 16-8 overall. Jones was the only Lady Moc to push her match to three sets. She lost to Kambourelis (0-6, 6-4, 6-3) at No. 2.
UTC returns home for Senior Day next weekend against Samford on the UTC Tennis Courts. It will be the final home match for Nurik, the lone senior on the roster. Match time is set for 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 13. A link for live scoring is available on the women’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
College of Charleston 5, Chattanooga 2
Apr 07, 2013 at CofC Tennis Center at Patriots Point
1. Alexa Flynn/Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Kelly Kambourelis/Jenny Falcone (COFC) 8-1
2. Christin Newman/Samantha Maddox (COFC) def. Jenna Nurik/Jovana Pecovski (UTC) 8-3
3. Kayla Jones/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Irene Viana/Olivia McMillan (COFC) 8-6
1. Christin Newman (COFC) def. Jenna Nurik (UTC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) def. Kayla Jones (UTC) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Brooke McAmis (COFC) 6-3, 7-5
4. Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Samantha Maddox (COFC) def. Katie Polk (UTC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Jovana Pecovski (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,3,5,6,2)