Chattanooga opened by winning the doubles point for the third straight match. Seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) got things started with an 8-3 win over Igor Santos and Felipe Wenzel at No. 2. Tresnan and Barroetavena are 3-0 as a duo in spring action.
"I think we were very business-like in our approach today," stated head coach Carlos Garcia. "We have been working on a few things this week and it was nice to see that pay off today. Our guys came to play and I like the way we approached the match."
The Mocs kept the momentum going with first set wins in five of the six singles matches. All but one of those first set wins were closely contested.
Barroetavena was the lone Moc who was able to breeze through his match. He improved to 4-0 in the spring with a (6-1, 6-2) win over Nenad Marcec at No. 3. Chopra put the Mocs up 3-0 with his (6-4, 6-3) win over Diaz at No. 4.
Senior Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) cinched the team win with a (7-6 (1), 6-2) win over Axel Sundberg at No. 1. Vieira snapped a personal six-match losing streak that dated back to the fall, scoring his first win of the spring at the top spot.
"It was nice for us to get some production from the top of our lineup," added Garcia. "Roberto had a tough first set, but really turned it on in the second against a tough opponent."
Freshman Gino Delavalle (Rosario, Argentina) scored a win in his collegiate debut. He defeated Watanabe (6-4, 6-4) at No. 6. Tresnan remained undefeated in spring action with his third singles win. He dropped Wenzel (7-5, 6-3) at No. 5.
The Mocs are back in action tomorrow, hosting North Alabama at the Hixson Racquet Club. First serve is set for 10:00 a.m. (E.S.T.) and a link for live scoring is available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 6, Jacksonville State 1
Feb 02, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Hixson Racquet Club)
1. MARCEC, Nenad/SUNDBERG, Axel (JSU) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 8-6
2. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. SANTOS, Igor/WENZEL, Felipe (JSU) 8-3
3. Ankit Chopra/John Peacey (UTC) def. DIAZ, Felipe/WATANABE, Felipe (JSU) 8-5
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. SUNDBERG, Axel (JSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
2. SANTOS, Igor (JSU) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. MARCEC, Nenad (JSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. DIAZ, Felipe (JSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. WENZEL, Felipe (JSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. WATANABE, Felipe (JSU) 6-4, 6-4