The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team closed out the 2013 regular season with a 6-1 win at Georgia Southern this afternoon. The Mocs improved to 11-8 overall and tied for fifth in the Southern Conference at 6-4. The Eagles fell to 100-8 overall and 6-4 in league matches.
The win today gave UTC the tiebreaker with Georgia Southern for next week’s Southern Conference Tournament in Elon, N.C. The Mcos grabbed the fifth seed and a first round bye. Chattanooga will face No. 4 UNCG on Friday, April 19, at 9:00 a.m. (E.D.T.) at the Burlington Tennis Center.
Today’s victory also clinched back-to-back winning seasons for the Mocs for the first time since 2007 and 2008. The 6-4 league mark was the first winning record in SoCon action since 2007.
Seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) continued their strong doubles play with an 8-3 win over Alex Doherty and Kyle Hoffman at No. 3. They finished with a 9-1 record in SoCon matches, 13-3 in the spring and 15-7 overall.
The Mocs won the first set in four of the six singles matches. Chopra put UTC up 2-0 with a (6-1, 6-4) win over Oliver Webb at No. 3. Tresnan evened his SoCon record at 5-5 with a (6-4, 6-3) win over Rafael Racy at No. 5. Barroetavena clinched the win with his (6-2, 6-1) victory over Sala at No. 2.
Chattanooga 6, Georgia Southern 1
Apr 13, 2013 at Georgia Southern Univ., Statesboro, Ga. (Hanner Tennis Complex)
1. Ankit Chopra/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Matthijs Verdam/Oliver Webb (GSU) 9-7
2. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSU) def. John Peacey/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-6
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Alex Doherty/Kyle Hoffman (GSU) 8-3
1. Rayane Djouad (GSU) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. A. Codina Sala (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Oliver Webb (GSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Marco Osorio (GSU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Rafael Racy (GSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Daniel Rush (GSU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,2,1,4,6)