MOCS MEN’S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK
Game No. 19 | Chattanooga at Appalachian State | Holmes Center | Jan. 16, 2014
- Chattanooga run away with 80-70 win at Appalachian State Thursday night…the Mocs are now 11-8… 5-0 in the SoCon, while the Mountaineers fall to 4-13, 0-4 in the league.
- 75th meeting between the two schools…Chattanooga leads series 44-31 overall, 12-21 in Boone…hold 36-28 record in regular season conference matchups…first meeting was December 19, 1977, an 88-78 loss at home.
- The win extends the Mocs winning streak to seven games…that’s the first seven-game win streak since 1998-99.
- Chattanooga is now 3-6 now on the road in 2013-14, 3-0 in the SoCon.
- The Mocs are 5-0 in SoCon play for the first time since a 7-0 start in 2010-11.
- Chattanooga was down 10, 15-5, 6:29 into the first half…outscored its hosts 35-14 over the final 13:31 for 11-point halftime margin, 40-29…9-1 on the year when leading at the break…allowed just 53 first half points in last two games.
- The Mocs won the battle on the boards 39-32...ASU had slight edge on offensive rebounds (11-10), but we claimed a 15-9 advantage in second chance points.
- Chattanooga padded its SoCon lead in blocked shots with 10…ties season high (Covenant)…5th game in a row with five or more (8.0 per game).
- Season-high 53.3 percent shooting from 3pt range making eight of 15.
Z. Mason, Sr.-F
- 22 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks...4th 20 & 10 double-double of the season.
- 8th double-double this year, 15th career…5th on DI era double-double chart currently one behind Taylor in fourth-place.
- Double digits for 15th time in 2013-14, 8th in a row…43rd career.
- SoCon block leader had career-high-tying six tonight (Furman – 1/4/14)…7th straight multi-block game (11th season)…now averaging 2.6 per game overall, 4.8 per SoCon contest.
- Career stats: 938 points, 540 rebounds & 86 blocks…tied for 5th in DI era in rebounding (Clifford Morgan, 1984-85) and career blocks (Roger Smith, 1994-95).
Martynas Bareika, Jr.-F
- 16 points on 6-12 FG and 4-9 3pt...most points in a SoCon game for the junior…previous high was 12 against The Citadel last season & Samford last Thursday.
- Four 3pt made is most since career high of five at UCLA in November.
- 10th double-figure game of the season, 12th of his career.
Casey Jones, So.-F
- 14 points and 11 rebounds...2nd double-double with both coming in SoCon play (13 pts/13 reb at Furman).
- 6th consecutive double-digit game…averaging 14.7 points per game over that span.
Ronrico White, Jr.-G
- 13 points on 2-3 FG, 1-2 3pt & 8-9 FT…7th game in a row in double figures.
- Mocs are 7-0 with White back full-time in the playing rotation.