Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Western Carolina at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Friday - Feb. 14, 2014
- The Mocs improved to 16-11 overall and 10-2 in SoCon action with an 83-73 win over Western Carolina tonight. The Catamounts fall to 14-12 overall and 7-4 in SoCon action.
- UTC snaps a two-game slide with tonight’s win.
- Tonight’s win ensures at least a .500 record for the Mocs under first-year head coach Will Wade.
- WCU scored the first four points of the game. Chattanooga responded with 17-straight and never trailed again.
- The Mocs led by as many as 16 in both halves...30-14 at 7:51 in the first and 65-49 at 12:05 in the second. Both times the Catamounts cut the lead to within at least four points…39-37 at 1:30 in the first and 67-63 at 6:39 in the second.
- UTC improves to 59-22 all-time against Western Carolina…35-3 in Chattanooga.
- Mocs tied a season-high with 49 boards…most against a DI opponent…outrebounded the Catamounts 49-38.
- Mocs are 9-3 in games decided by 10 points or less…won nine straight.
- UTC’s last points from the field came on a Casey Jones layup at the 3:12 mark…UTC was 10-11 form the foul line during that span.
- Western Carolina stayed in the game in the second half with nine offensive boards and 11 second-chance points.
- All eight Mocs that played grabbed a rebound, seven scored and seven had at least one assist.
- Catamount senior Trey Sumler came into the game fourth in the SoCon in scoring at 18.3 ppg. He had 10 in the first half, but didn’t get a bucket in the second until the final minute of the game…also had just two assists...came into the game leading the SoCon at 4.3 apg.
Martynas Bareika – Jr.-G
- 10 points and five boards in 15 minutes off the bench.
- Fourth-straight game in double-figures.
- Shot 4-8 from the field and 2-4 from 3-pt. range.
- 11-23 (47.8%) from 3-pt. range last four games.
- First game off the bench since Dec. 2 at Georgia.
Casey Jones – So.-F
- 14 points on 3-9 shooting, 8-10 from the FT line.
- Tied a career-high for FTs made.
- Also grabbed five boards.
- Topped 400 career points in the game…has 404.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Game-high 23 points on 9-14 shooting, 2-4 form 3-pt. range and 3-4 from the FT line.
- Added eight boards and three blocks.
- 10th 20-point game of the season.
- Now has 1,064 career points, passing Casey Long (2004-07) and Keith Nelson (1991-92) to move into 16th place on UTC’s all-time scoring list.
Gee McGhee – So.-G
- Third double-double of the season/career with 16 points and 15 rebounds.
- Game-high and career-high for rebounds.
- Second-straight game in double-figures after not scoring 10+ in previous four outings.
- Shot 5-11 from the field, 1-2 form 3-pt. range and 5-6 from the FT line.
- Added a game-high five assists.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- 11 points, four assists and no turnovers in 26 minutes off the bench.
- Shot 2-8 from the field, 1-5 from 3-pt. range and 6-6 from the FT line.
- 4-4 from the FT line in the final minute.
- 29 points last two games after being held scoreless at EKU.