Georgia Southern at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Thursday – Feb. 20, 2014
- The Mocs fall to 16-12 overall and 10-3 in SoCon action with tonight’s 77-61 loss to Georgia Southern. The Eagles improve to 12-16 overall and 5-8 in SoCon action.
- GSU has won five straight in the series with the Mocs.
- The loss snaps a nine-game home winning streak for Chattanooga.
- Chattanooga is 11-2 at home this season, including 6-1 in SoCon games.
- GSU dominated the paint, outscoring the Mocs 40-20 inside and winning the battle on the boards 37-30. UTC still lead in second chance points, turning 11 offensive boards into 16 points while the Eagles got 13 points on nine offensive rebounds.
- UTC was cruising in the first half, up 29-17 with 5:23 left, following a Casey Jones tip-in. The Eagles went on a 19-5 run to close the half and take a 36-34 lead into the locker room. UTC is 2-10 when trailing at the half this season.
- GSU continued with a 10-4 spurt to start the second half to go up 46-36 before the first media timeout.
- Georgia Southern was 9-22 (40.9%) from 3-point range … tied for second most threes against the Mocs this season.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Team-high 21 points on 7-9 shooting, 2-3 from 3-point range and 5-8 from the FT line.
- 11th game with 20+ points this season…20th of his career.
- 20+ points in three of last four games.
- Added seven boards and two blocks.
- Has 79 blocks this season…10 shy of the single-season school record set by Neil Ashby in 2001-02.
- 1,085 career points … passes Johnny Taylor (1996-97), Stephen McDowell (2008-09) and James Jones (1978-81) to move into 13th place on the Mocs all-time scoring list.
Greg Pryor – Fr.-G
- 10 points on 4-9 shooting, 1-4 from 3-pt. range and 1-2 from the FT line.
- 8th game in double figures … just second time since Nov.