The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team ended its season with a 4-0 loss to Elon in the Southern Conference Tournament today. The Mocs close out the year with a 7-14 overall record, and wrapped up on a positive note with yesterday’s first round win over Davidson.
The Mocs came into the Tournament as the No. 9 seed and scored a 4-2 victory against No. 8 Davidson yesterday. That set up a 9:00 a.m. match with No. 1 Elon today.
Chattanooga was battling at No. 1 doubles, but that bout did not finish. Elon took the opening point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
Sophomore Gino Delavalle won the first set over Brian Kowalski (6-4) at No. 4 singles, but Elon closed out the match with wins at No. 5, No. 1 and No. 6. In tournament play, once a team reaches four points, the match is over.
Chattanooga will return the core of its lineup next season. Senior Jorge Varon is the only one not returning. He went 11-20 overall and was 5-4 at No. 2 this spring.
Elon 4, Chattanooga 0
Apr 17, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Cameron Silverman/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) vs. Pavels Grigorjevs/Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-4, unfinished
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) 8-3
3. Stefan Fortmann/Juan Madrid (ELON) def. John Peacey/Gino Delavalle (UTC) 8-1
1. Cameron Silverman (ELON) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) vs. Jorge Varon (UTC) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. Robert Lindgren (ELON) vs. Luke Saunders (UTC) 6-2, 3-1, unfinished
4. Brian Kowalski (ELON) vs. Gino Delavalle (UTC) 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
5. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. John Peacey (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Derrick Brown (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,1,6)