The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team posted a 6-1 win over Appalachian State on the UTC Tennis Courts today. The Mocs improve to 9-8 overall and 4-4 in Southern Conference action with today’s win.
UTC opened by taking the doubles point over the Mountaineers (4-13, 2-6 SoCon). Seniors Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) opened with an 8-4 win over Sebatian King and Zach Bost. They improved to 3-3 overall and 2-1 in SoCon action.
Seniors Manuel Barroetavena (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) clinched the point with their 8-6 victory over Steve Lake and Steve Karendal at No. 3. Barroetavena and Tresnan lead the Mocs with a 13-7 doubles mark, 11-3 in the spring and 7-1 in SoCon action.
Barroetavena kept things going for UTC with a quick (6-1, 6-0) win at No. 2, his 20th of the season. He is 6-2 in conference matches and 13-4 in the spring. Vieira followed with a (6-2, 6-2) win over king at No. 1, snapping a personal five-match skid.
Sophomore Pavels Grigorjevs (Riga, Latvia) clinched the win with a three-set (2-6, 6-4, 6-1) win at No. 6. Tresnan and Chopra also posted singles wins for the Mocs.
Chattanooga is back on the UTC Tennis Courts for Senior Day on Sunday against The Citadel. First-serve is set for 1:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) with Senior Day celebrations starting at 12:45 p.m. Seven seniors will say goodbye tomorrow, including Barroetavena, Chopra, Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.), William Disterdick (Hixson, Tenn.), Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.), Tresnan and Vieira. A link for live scoring is available on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 6, Appalachian State 1
Apr 06, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Ankit Chopra/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-4
2. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Chris Smith/John Peacey (UTC) 8-4
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) 8-6
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Sebastien King (APP) 6-2, 6-2
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Steve Karendal (APP) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Zach Bost (APP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
4. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 7-5, 6-4
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. John Peacey (UTC) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)