The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team ended its season with a 4-1 loss to Elon in the Southern Conference Tournament this afternoon. The Mocs advanced to the semifinals of the SoCon Championships for the first time since 2007, but close out the year with a 12-9 overall record.
The Phoenix opened by winning the doubles point on its home court at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center in Elon, N.C. Cameron Silverman and Stefan Fortmann defeated seniors Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) 8-5 at No. 1. Brian Kowalski and Robert Lindgren followed with an 8-6 win over senior Chris Smith (Johnson City, Tenn.) and freshman John Peacey (Emerald, Australia) at No. 2.
Elon won the first two singles matches to take a 3-0 lead. Jordan Kaufman defeated Smith (6-2, 6-4) at No. 4 while Lindgren scored a (6-2, 7-6 (6)) win over Chopra at No. 3.
Senior Manuel Barroetavena put the Mocs on the board with a win at No. 2. He defeated Fortmann (6-4, 6-3) to keep UTC’s hopes alive. Juan Madrid clinched the win for the Phoenix with a three-set win over senior Jackson Tresnan (Apopka, Fla.) at No. 6. (6-3, 0-6, 6-2).
Despite the loss, the Mocs posted back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 2007 and 2008. The Mocs also recorded their first winning record in league play since 2007.
Elon 4, Chattanooga 1
1. Cameron Silverman/Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Roberto Vieira/Ankit Chopra (UTC) 8-5
2. Brian Kowalski/Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Chris Smith/John Peacey (UTC) 8-6
3. Juan Madrid/Jordan Kaufman (ELON) vs. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 6-7, unfinished
1. Cameron Silverman (ELON) vs. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 7-6 (7-2), 1-6, 1-0, unfinished
2. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) 6-4, 6-3
3. Robert Lindgren (ELON) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Brian Kowalski (ELON) vs. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 2-6, 7-5, 1-2, unfinished
6. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,3,2,6)