CHATTANOOGA (31-14, 14-2 SoCon) at UNC GREENSBORO (21-29, 10-11 SoCon)
WHEN: May 5 - 1 p.m. (DH); May 6 - 2 p.m. | WHERE: Greensboro, N.C. (UNCG Softball Stadium)
LIVE STATS: GoMocs.com | MOBILE LIVE STATS: GoMocs.com
FREE AUDIO: GoMocs.com
|LADY MOCS BY THE NUMBERS|
The career-RBI total for Michelle Fuzzard, who now holds the SoCon all-time record.
Fuzzard it the Lady Mocs all-time leader in Total Bases.
Lady Mocs team batting average ranks first in the country. Team paced the NCAA regular season at .351 in 2011.
Chattanooga is first in the nation in doubles per game.
Lady Mocs slugging pct., ranks fourth in the country
Runs per game ranks fifth nationally.
|Scouting the Lady Mocs
Chattanooga begins the final weekend of the regular season with a 34-14 overall and 17-2 SoCon mark. Among the wins for Chattanooga are Bethune-Cookman (12-1, 5), Florida A&M (5-3), Florida Atlantic (7-1), East Tennessee State (6-0), Dayton (19-0), Ole Miss (5-3), Coll. of Charleston (11-1 (5), 4-1, 11-2 (5)), Northwestern (6-2), Appalachian State (16-4), Georgia Southern (9-4), Marshall (4-1), Elon (14-11, 4-3, 6-2), Tennessee Tech (8-0, 6) , Western Carolina (4-1, 10-2, 5-4), UAB (9-8), Samford (9-0, 14-0, 15-5) and Furman (2-0, 12-7, 8-5). The Lady Mocs have compiled a .351 average with all nine starters batting above .300. There are two student-athletes with at least 50 RBI led by senior pitcher Michelle Fuzzard with 59, who is followed by junior first baseman Kasey Tydingco with 53 and senior catcher Vivian Morimoto with 49. The Lady Mocs have power throughout the lineup with seven players connecting on the team's 54 homers, paced by Fuzzard with 13 and followed by Morimoto with 12 and Tydingco with 10. In the circle, the Lady Mocs rely on two options in freshman Taylor Deason and Fuzzard. Deason has filled in extremely well with a SoCon leading 20-7 mark and 2.30 ERA with 147 strikeouts in 170.2 innings of work. With a 14-7 mark on the season, Fuzzard has compiled a 3.40 ERA with 75 strikeouts in 131.2 innings pitched. Head Coach Frank Reed is in his 11th season guiding the Lady Mocs and has totaled over 900 career wins.
|Scouting the Spartans
UNC Greensboro has a 21-29 overall and 10-10 SoCon record as it enters play on the final weekend of the regular season. The Spartans have tallied wins over Fordham (12-7), Drexel (5-1), Rider (9-1), Morehead St. (9-3), Kennesaw St. (6-5), N.C. Central (8-0), Appalachian St. (9-4, 7-2), Elon (5-0), N.C. A&T (12-4), Gardner-Webb (11-1), Furman (2-1), Samford (5-3, 13-8), Liberty (6-5, 9-1), Radford (4-3), College of Charleston (5-2), Western Carolina (8-7, 6-5, 4-2). The has posted a .253 batting average and .376 slugging percentage. Alex Emeterio has a team-best .343 average, while Eileen Horsman (.313) and Katelyn Bedwell (.306) are also over the .300 mark. Bedwell and Hormsman have 11 and 10 homers, respectively. The pitching staff is led by Cory Matson with a 13-14 mark and 3.76 ERA with 90 strikeouts in 158.1 innings. Erica Navarette (6-12) has compiled a 4.38 ERA with 77 strikeouts in 139.0 innings. Head Coach Jennifer Herzig is in her seventh year.
The Lady Mocs have a 43-10 advantage in the all-time series which began in 1997. Chattanooga holds a 35-7 record in SoCon games along with a 14-6 mark in contests played in Greensboro, N.C. The Lady Mocs are also 8-1 all-time in the SoCon Tournament against the Spartans. The Lady Mocs captured the first 14 meetings through the 2001 season. The only series win for UNCG was a sweep during the 2002 campaign. Chattanooga has captured the remaining series, including 11 sweeps.
GoMocs.com Covers All Your Softball Needs
- The official website of Chattanooga athletics has up-to-date student-athlete bios, schedules, notes and statistics.
- Be sure to follow @GoMocs on Twitter for in-game updates along with all the news and information about the program.
- Live Stats can be found to all games, whether the Lady Mocs are home or away. Mobile live stats in now an option as well.
- New this year, all Lady Mocs road games are broadcasted for free through MocsVision.
- Live video and play-by-play can be seen through the pay-per-view section of MocsVision.
- Tyler Brown, the Voice of the Lady Mocs Softball, has the call of each contest this season with Nate Blythe providing insight as an analyst.
- Check GoMocs.com for recaps, post game notes and video interviews with head coach Frank Reed and student-athletes following each game.
SoCon Pitcher of the Month - April
- Freshman pitcher Taylor Deason earned her first monthly award after taking two weekly awards by the league office.
- She posted a 2.18 ERA and 8-1 mark.
- The Clarksville, Tenn., native registered 52 strikeouts in 57.2 innings of work.
- Deason registered combined for two shutouts.
- She is the first SoCon pitcher to achieve 20 wins since Brooke Loudermilk's freshman season on 2007.
Individual Single-Season Record Watch List
- Sophomore Sarah Poteat and senior Michelle Fuzzard are above the .441 batting average mark set by Allison DeVries in 1999.
- Fuzzard is currently 59 points above the slugging pct. held by Margaret Roddy in 1994.
- Fuzzard's on-base pct. is 58 points a top Mandi Green (1998), Allison DeVries (1999) and Vivian Morimoto (2011).
- Fuzzard is nine doubles away from the single-season mark.
- Fuzzard is five homers from topping single-season leader Tiffany Baker's 18 round trippers in 2011.
- Fuzzard needs 16 RBI to break her own record of a year ago.
Approaching Team Records
- Currently as a team, the Lady Mocs have the highest slugging (.561) in history, surpassing the .521 mark set in 2011.
- Six more doubles are needed to set a new single season doubles record (98 in 1999).
- Five more homers shatters the 2011 mark of 58.
- If the team turns nine more double plays, it will eclipse the 2006 record of 28.
Change Up at the Top of the Order
- When leadoff hitter Poteat went down with an injury against Elon, head coach Frank Reed was unsure how her void would effect the lineup.
- It has not skipped a beat as freshman outfielder Cheyenne Willis was moved from two to one and sophomore outfielder Rieck bumped from eight to two in the order.
- Rieck paces the team with a .512 avg and .553 on-base pct.
- Willis has tallied a .500 on-base pct. and .628 slugging pct.
- The Manchester, Tenn., native has totaled 19 hits, including five doubles, and driven in 12 runs, while drawing seven walks.
- These two spots are key in the Chattanooga order as when the table setters are on, seniors Fuzzard and Vivian Morimoto and junior Kasey Tydingco, have driven them home.
- Poteat returned for the Furman series and went .500 (5-10) in the eight slot of the order.
SoCon Player of the Week - April 23
- Senior shortstop Jessica Traxler earned her first weekly honor in four seasons with the Lady Mocs.
- The Chino Hills, Calif., native went 7-for-14 with three home runs and eight RBI during the week.
-Traxler compiled a .1.143 slugging percentage.
- She was apart of back-to-back home runs with freshman Sarah Beth Roberts in the third against UAB.
- Traxler later connected on two-run and three-run bombs at Samford.
- It is the fifth SoCon Player of the Week award for the team with senior Michelle Fuzzard holding the other four.
- Freshman Taylor Deason has also picked up two SoCon Pitcher of the Week honors.
Offensive-Outburst at Samford
- The Lady Mocs put up numbers in Birmingham, Ala., that could have come off a video game, not college softball, as the team posted a .494 average in out-scoring Samford, 38-5 in 15 innings.
- Traxler was most impressive going 5-for-7 (.714) with two homers and 7 RBI.
- Junior shortstop Ninjja Suetsugu (.667) and Rieck (.600) also posted averages greater than .600.
- Fuzzard continued to be the main offensive threat, driving in eight runs on six hits including two homers and a double.
- The pitching staff was just as strong as Deason and Fuzzard shutout the Bulldogs in the Saturday doubleheader.
- The duo combined for 16 strikeouts in 15 innings in the series.
Home Sweet Home
- Chattanooga went 9-1 on its 10-game homestad with the only loss to UAB.
- The team hit at a .348 rate, while slugging at .505.
- The Lady Mocs had two players - Willis (.462), and Rieck (.448) - batting over .400.
- Four Lady Mocs - Fuzzard (.393), Roberts (.385), Morimoto (.343) and Rainey (.333) - hit over .300.
- Rieck paced the team in hits with 17 followed by Willis (16).
- Morimoto drove in 16 runs, while Fuzzard had 2 homers.
- Fuzzard compiled a .786 slugging pct.
Power Throughout Lineup
- Team batting average is .352 with all nine starters batting above .300.
- Poteat (.448), Fuzzard (.443) and Rieck (.418) have surpassed .400.
- Willis paces SoCon runs scored (46).
- No one in the starting lineup has a slugging pct. below .400 with Fuzzard (.863) and Tydingco (.730) leading the way.
- Seven Lady Mocs have connected on the team's 54 home runs.
- Three players - Fuzzard (59), Morimoto (49) and Tydingco (53)- have driven in at least 49 runs.
- Chattanooga tied a team-record with 6 home runs blasted at Appalachian State, the site of the SoCon Tournament.
Fuzzard Moving Up the Charts
- Fuzzard etched herself into the Lady Mocs record book with a two-RBI double, her 178th career RBI, in the series finale against College of Charleston moving past Melissa Ramirez (2002-05) into first on the all-time chart.
- She recorded a nine-RBI performance to takeover the SoCon record at 184 passing Amanda Cone (2001-04), CofC and now has 213 RBI.
- First on the total bases list at 440.
- She has 57 career doubles and moved into second all-time passing Allison DeVries (1996-99) with 56. Melissa Ramirez (2002-05) is atop of the list at 63.
- Second on the total hits chart at 263 with the top spot held by Ramirez with 286.
- She is eighth in runs scored at 138 and next up is Tara Tembey (2005-08) with 147.
- The Huntington Beach, Calif., native is second on the all-time home run list with 40 with the record held by Baker at 50.
Deason Shining as a Freshman
- Deason has now logged 170.2 innings in her first year.
- Mental toughness is one area where Deason has impressed coach Reed.
- The Clarksville, Tenn., native paces the pitching staff with a 20-7 record and 2.30 ERA along with two saves.
- She has tallied 147 strikeouts.
- She registered a 5-3 win at Ole Miss, which included a season- best 11 strikeouts.
- The Thomaston, Ga., native has been a tough out for opponents this season with a .500 on-base pct. and .448 average.
- Poteat has 43 run scored and 17 stolen bases.
- Poteat has beat-out 32 infield hits on the season.
- She has 21 multi-hit games this season and 45 in her career.
Freshmen Stepping Up
- Roberts has compiled a .333 average, tallying 38 hits including nine doubles, a triple and two home runs.
- Willis has shown power and speed with a .358 average and 35 RBI.
- Willis has connected on three home runs this season including one in the 5-3 win at Ole Miss.