Chattanooga Football Postgame Notes
Western Carolina at Chattanooga
Finley Stadium – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday – Oct. 5, 2013
- The Chattanooga Mocs improve to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in SoCon action with tonight’s 42-21 win over Western Carolina. The Catamounts drop to 1-5 overall and 0-3 in SoCon action.
- The Mocs ended with 432 yards of total offense, second-most this season…third time in last four games with 400+ yards.
- UTC had a balanced attached attack with 209 yards rushing and 223 yards passing...first game with 200 yards rushing and receiving since 35-0 win against Glenville State on Sept. 13, 2012…first time against an FCS opponent since putting up 212 rushing and 296 passing in a 38-17 win against No. 10 Jacksonville State on Sept. 10, 2011.
- Chattanooga ended with 200 rushing yards for the fourth consecutive game…first time with a run like that since five straight in 2005.
- Western Carolina had 191 passing yards, the most allowed by UTC this season. The Mocs came into the game No. 5 in the nation in passing yards allowed at 132.3 per game.
- All three of the Mocs punts were downed inside Western Carolina’s 15-yard line.
- Chattanooga held over an 11-minute advantage in Time of Possession (35:55 to 24:05).
- UTC picked off a season-high four WCU passes. It is the most interceptions in a game by the Mocs since picking off four at Western Carolina in a 27-24 win on Oct. 23, 2004. UTC had three picks in the second quarter alone. Chattanooga came into the game with just four takeaways this season.
- It was the Mocs fifth consecutive win over Western Carolina…UTC is 24-16 all-time against the Catamounts, including 14-6 at home and 7-2 in Finley Stadium.
- Chattanooga converted on 9/15 (60%) third down chances. UTC came into the game leading the SoCon and No. 7 in the nation in that category at 51%.
- Jacob Huesman’s screen pass to Marquis Green that went for a 67-yard TD in the second quarter was the longest play from scrimmage for the Mocs this season. It was a career-long reception and a career-long-tying TD pass for Green and Huesman.
Troy Dye – So.-TE
- Two catches for 27 yards and a TD.
- First career TD reception.
Marquis Green – Jr.-RB
- Three catches for a career-high 87 yards and a career-high two TDs.
- Most receiving yards by a Moc this season.
- Three carries for 11 yards.
- Career-long 67-yard TD reception on a screen pass from Jacob Huesman in the second quarter.
Tommy Hudson – Jr.-WR
- Three catches for 33 yards and a TD.
- First career TD reception.
Jacob Huesman – So.-QB
- Career-best five total TDs (4 passing – 1 rushing)
- 18-25 for 223 yards.
- Four passing TDs is a career-high.
- Season-high 18 completions.
- Sacked four times for -15 yards.
- 67-yard TD pass to Marquis Green in the second quarter tied a career long…previous was a 67-yard hookup with Terrell Robinson against Elon last season (11/17/12).
- 24 career passing TDs is now No. 8 all-time at UTC…passed Antonio Miller’s 21 tonight (2004-07).
In the Russ Huesman era
- Overall – 26-23
- SoCon – 18-16
- Home – 14-9
- Home vs. SoCon – 9-8
- vs. Western Carolina – 5-0
- vs. Western Carolina at home – 3-0
- When scoring 25+ points – 20-6
- When outrushing opponent – 21-3
D.J. Key – Sr.-DB
- Team-high 11 tackles.
- Back-to-back games with 10+ tackles…9th of his career.
- First INT of the season…sixth of his career.
Zach McCarter – Jr.-DB
- Second career INT…first was also against WCU at Finley Stadium in 2011.
Gunner Miller – Sr.-LB
- 2nd INT of the season…5th of his career.
- Added five tackles.
Chaz Moore – Sr.-DB
- Career-long 81-yard kickoff return.
- Added his fourth career INT.
Nick Pollard – Jr.-P/K
- 6-6 on PATs…tied a career-high for the third time this season.
- Moved into No. 7 for all-time scoring at UTC with 141 points…passed Craig Camay (2006-09) tonight.
- Averaged 47.0 punts on two punts…both downed inside the 15
- Season-long 55-yard punt.
- Missed a 40-yard FG…first attempt of the season…0-7 all-time from 40+ yards.
Daniel Ring – So.-DL
- Three tackles, including a season-high two TFLs.
Terrell Robinson – Jr.-WR
- Season-high eight catches for 56 yards.
Dee Virgin – Fr.-DB
- Season-high seven tackles.
Keon Williams – Jr.-RB
- 127 yards and a TD on 20 carries.
- Third 100-yard game this season...fourth of his career.
- Now third in the SoCon in rushing with 93.6 yards per game.
- 6th rushing TD of the season.
- Also had one catch for 14 yards.