Elon at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Thursday – Jan. 23, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs won their ninth-straight game with an 84-63 win over Elon tonight. UTC improves to 13-8 overall and 7-0 in SoCon action. Elon drops to 10-10 and 3-2 in league play.
- The Mocs are 7-0 in SoCon action for the first time since the 2010-11 season...last time UTC started 8-0 was 1984-85 when it ran out to a 9-0 record in SoCon action.
- Tonight’s attendance was a season-high 4,662…largest since 5,166 against UNCG on Feb. 11, 2012.
- Elon was picked to win the SoCon in the preseason polls…the Mocs were picked to finish seventh.
- Chattanooga now has a 1.5 game advantage over second-place Davidson (9-11, 5-1 SoCon). The Wildcats are the only one-loss team left in the league.
- UTC’s nine game winning streak is the longest since winning 11 in a row in 1997.
- Chattanooga improves to 13-10 all-time against Elon, who is leaving the Southern Conference following the season. The Mocs are 9-4 at home and have won four-straight in McKenzie Arena.
- The Mocs (78.3) and the Phoenix (77.8) came into the game as 1-2 in the SoCon in scoring offense. UTC upped its average while Elon was held more than 14 points below its normal output.
- UTC is 9-1 when scoring 80+ points.
- The Mocs are 11-1 when leading at the half.
- Chattanooga dominated the glass 35-25, improving to 12-1 when outrebounding its opponent.
- The Mocs turned 11 offensive boards into 15 second-chance points…Elon only got four off of eight offensive rebounds.
- The Mocs shot a season-high 8-14 (57.1%) from 3-pt. range…the Mocs are 20-40 (50.0%) from three-point range last three games…34.5% for the season…38.7% (43-111) in SoCon action.
- UTC went 28-32 (87.5%) from the FT line…best since 28-29 (96.6%) at Northern Kentucky on Dec. 15, 2013…Mason (3-3), Pryor (4-4), Stokes (4-4) and White (4-4) combined to go 15-15 from the line.
Casey Jones – So.-F
- Seven points on 3-9 shooting, 1-2 from the FT line.
- Game-high five assists.
- Added five boards.
- Tied a career-high and game-highs with three blocks.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Game-high 27 points.
- Shot 11-16 from the field, 2-3 from 3-pt. range and 3-3 from the FT lne.
- 10th double-double of the season with 11 boards…third-straight double-double.
- Came into the game 11th in the nation in double-doubles.
- 17 career double-doubles moves him past Johnny Taylor (1996-97) and tied him with Nicchaeus Doaks (2008-09) for fourth all-time at UTC.
- Leads the SoCon in rebounding at 9.6 per game.
Gee McGhee – So.-G
- 13 points on 2-5 shooting, 2-2 from 3-pt. range and 7-8 from the FT line.
- Hit a 70-footer at the end of halftime to give the Mocs a 41-32 lead at the break.
- Added five boards and two steals.
- Topped 600 points in his career in the game…has 609.
- Second-straight game in double-figures…12th time this season.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- 13 points on 3-9 shooting, 3-5 from 3-pt. range and 4-4 from the FT line.
- Ninth-straight game in double-figures.
- Two turnovers in a game for just the second time this season.