Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Samford at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday – Jan. 25, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs scored a 63-50 win over Samford today. UTC wins its 13th-straight game to improve to 17-3 overall and 9-0 in SoCon action. Samford drops to 5-15 overall and 3-6 in league play.
- Head coach Jim Foster won his 800th game today…11th women’s coach in the NCAA to reach that mark. His 36-year mark stands at 800-310. The 2013 Hall of Fame inductee is the only coach in NCAA Division I history - men or women - to lead three different teams to at least 200 wins (St. Joseph’s: 248, Vanderbilt: 256, Ohio State: 279).
- The Mocs extended the longest home court winning streak in the nation to 35 games…last home loss in the regular season was against Appalachian State (57-56) on Feb. 14, 2011…9-0 at home this season.
- The Mocs have won 25-straight SoCon games…last loss was a 70-60 overtime defeat at Elon on Jan. 7, 2013.
- Today’s attendance was 3,854. 10th largest in school history…most since 8,468 against Tennessee in last year’s season opener on Nov. 9, 2012.
- UTC had 12 steals in the game…tied for second most this season…7th time this season with 10+, including three of last four games.
- Despite forcing 17 turnover and only giving up 10, the Mocs only outscored Samford 13-10 in points off turnovers.
- UTC had one turnover in the first half…nine in the second frame.
- UTC led 20-16 after an Alicia Payne jumper with 8:51 left in the first half. The Mocs went on a 10-3 run over the next six minutes to take control of the game.
- UTC is 13-0 when leading at the half.
- Mocs led by as many as 16 in the second half…43-27 with 13:46 on the clock…Samford cut the lead to seven, 55-48 with 1:33 on the clock.
Ashlen Dewart – Sr.-F
- 10 points on 4-9 shooting, 1-4 from 3-pt. range and 1-1 from the FT line.
- Game-high seven boards.
- Tied a career-high with a game-high four assists.
- Added two steals.
Taylor Hall – Sr.-F
- Game-high 22 points on 7-14 shooting, 1-2 from 3-pt. range and 7-8 from the FT line.
- Topped 200 career assists and 700 career rebounds in the game.
- 34 points shy of 1,000 for her career.
- Added six boards and three assists.
- Tied a career-high with six steals.
- Second time in SoCon action with 6 steals.
Ka'Vonne Towns – Jr.-G/F
- Five points, three boards, two assists and two steals off the bench.
- Recorded her 200th career rebound.