Chattanooga Basketball Postgame Notes
Appalachian State at Chattanooga
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.
Saturday – March 1, 2014
- The Chattanooga Mocs wrapped up second place in the Southern Conference with a 63-44 win over Appalachian State … the Mocs finish the regular season with an 18-13 record and 12-4 in SoCon play. ASU drops to 9-20 overall and 5-11 in conference action.
- The Mocs have a winning record for the first time since going 18-17 in 2008-09. Chattanooga finishes the regular season above .500 for the first time since going 18-12 in 2007-08.
- UTC finishes the season 12-2 at home…most home wins since going 13-3 in 2008-09.
- Chattanooga averaged 3,895 fans per game this season…best home average since 4,040 in 2008-09.
- Mocs led the SoCon in home attendance this season...first time UTC led the league in attendance since 2005-06.
- UTC swept the season series with Appalachian State for the first time since 2005-06. The Mocs also swept the season series with Western Carolina, Wofford and Furman. It is the first time UTC swept at least four SoCon series in one year since 2007-08.
- Appalachian State’s 44 points are a season-low and the fewest for the Mountaineers in a SoCon game since a 76-43 loss at Chattanooga on Jan. 11, 1988.
- The Mocs dominated the glass 50-32. The 50 boards are a season-high and +18 on the glass tied a season-high.
- UTC turned 20 offensive boards into 18 second-chance points … third time this season with 20+ offensive rebounds. ASU only had one second-chance bucket on 12 offensive rebounds.
- Chattanooga was 6-15 (40.0%) from 3-pt. range tonight…14-31 (45.2%) last two games.
- Leading 38-34 with 18:06 left in the game, UTC went on a 12-1 run over the next 7:24 to take a 50-35 lead following Martynas Bareika’s three at the 10:42 mark.
- The Mocs defense clamped down on ASU, holding the Mountaineers to just 14 points on 4-23 (17.4%) shooting, 0-2 from 3-pt. range and 6-17 (35.3%) from the FT line.
Z. Mason – Sr.-F
- Double-double with a game-high 24 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
- 14th double-double of the season…21st of his career.
- Came into the game tied for 12th in the nation in double-doubles.
- Holds the Mocs DI-era single season record for double-doubles.
- Tied with Lance Fulse (1985-88) for second all-time at UTC in double-doubles.
- Tied a career-high with six blocks…has 87 this season…two shy of the school record set by Neil Ashby in 2001-02.
- Now has 1,144 career points, passing Alphonson Pugh (2003-06) for ninth place all-time at UTC.
- Has 660 career rebounds, passing Khalil Hartwell (2006-09) for third all-time at UTC.
Gee McGhee – So.-G
- 11 points on 4-7 shooting, 3-4 from the FT line.
- Added five boards and three assists.
- Third straight game in double-figures…five of last six…17th this season.
Ronrico White – Jr.-G
- 10 points on 2-7 shooting, 2-4 form 3-pt. range and 4-4 from the FT line.
- Added four boards and three assists.
- 5-8 (62.5%) from 3-pt. range last two games.
- 13-15 (86.7%) from the FT line last three games…82.7% on the season.