CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.---The Chattanooga Mocs men’s golf team is back in action this weekend at the Brickyard Collegiate in Macon, Ga. This is the sixth straight year the Mocs have competed in the event played October 4-6 at the Brickyard at Riverside.
“It’s a first-class event,” Head Coach Mark Guhne stated. “We’ve enjoyed the hospitality and the course for many years now. This is a great opportunity to get some quality wins against a good field.”
The event features 15 teams highlighted by Georgia, Georgia Tech and Florida State. The lineup includes: seniors Davis Bunn (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Chris Robb (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) with freshmen Wes Gosselin (Knoxville), Ewan Scott (St. Andrews, Scotland) and Stuart Thomas (Knoxville).
BRICKYARD COLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIP – OCT. 4-6
Chattanooga, Air Force, Augusta State, Boston College, Furman, Georgia, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Florida State, Louisville, Mercer, Princeton, USF & Virginia Tech
Dates: Oct. 4-6
Location: Macon, Ga.
Format: 54 Holes - 18 per day
Course: Brickyard at Riverside (Par 72/7,175 yards)
No. of Teams: 15
2012 Champion: Georgia, -16, 280-288-280=848
Medalist: Jonathan Grey, Georgia St., -8, 72-67-69=208
LAST TIME OUT
UTC tied for 11th at the Golfweek Conference Challenge shooting 895. The final round 293, currently the low round of the year, was paced by Chris Robb’s 69. Davis Bunn led the squad shooting 223 for the 54 holes.
The Mocs head to another familiar event eight days after the Brickyard is complete. Next up is the AutoTrader.com Collegiate played Oct. 14-15 at Berkeley Hills C.C., in suburban Atlanta.
• Chattanooga’s lineup is the third different one in three tournaments. The team’s depth makes qualifying difficult week-in, week-out.
• Only Bunn and Ewan Scott have seen action in all three tournaments thus far.
• UTC’s final round 293 (+5) at the Golfweek Conference Challenge is the team’s best of its six 2013-14 cards. Robb’s 69 was the first score in the 60’s this season.
• This is the sixth entry into the Brickyard Collegiate Championship for the Mocs. The squad finished second in the rain-shortened 2009 event and has finished sixth or higher in the last four in what is annually a good field.
• Brickyard Collegiate History:
Year: Team Finish & Scores/Top Individual
2008: 11/294-296-296=886/Ben Rickett/Jonathan Hodge, T13, 217
2009: 2/291-285=576/Fredrik Qvicker, T10, 71-71=142
2010: 6/292-291-289=872/Steven Fox, T8, 74-68-71=213
2011: 6/296-298-291=885/Stephan Jaeger, 4, 71-70-69=210
2012: 4/291-299-277=867/Chris Robb, T11, 70-75-69=214
• UTC has won five of the last seven SoCon titles including 2012 and 2013.
• Bunn leads the squad in scoring average (73.83), birdies (22), par or better rounds (3) and par 5 scoring (4.67). He has a 73.33 stroke average in 2013 counting the spring schedule of last season with 13 of his 25 career par or better cards during that span.
• Robb is a two-time collegiate winner (2010 Springhill Suites Collegiate & 2012 Bridgestone Golf Collegiate).GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.