(Photo Credit: Todd Drexler/GoMocs.com): and the Chattanooga Mocs play their final regular season event in West Point, Miss., Monday and Tuesday
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.---The Chattanooga Mocs men’s golf teams tees off in its final regular season event Monday at the Old Waverly Collegiate. The Mocs play 36 holes on day one followed by a final 18 on Tuesday.
It’s a very balanced field 15-team field. There are 10 teams ranked between No. 37 and 84 including Chattanooga at No. 61. The well-stocked grouping offers the men from the Scenic City a chance solidify a spot in NCAA Regionals for an eight consecutive season.
Junior Liam Johnston (Dumfries, Scotland) paces the squad at 73.03 strokes per round. Just 1.39 shots per card separates the first through fifth man in the lineup. Freshman Wes Gosselin (Knoxville, Tenn.) is next at 73.59 followed by Chris Robb (74.00), Ewan Scott (74.04) and Davis Bunn (74.42).
The quintet takes the Jerry Pate/Bob Cupp-designed Old Waverly Golf Club in West Point, Miss. Live scoring is available at the link above and on the men’s golf schedule page on GoMocs.com. Follow @GoMocsMGLF on twitter for updates and notes.
OLD WAVERLY COLLEGIATE – APRIL 7-8
TOURNAMENT FIELD (Top 100 Rankings)
(84) Austin Peay, Charleston Southern, (61) CHATTANOOGA, Cincinnati, (77) Florida, (74) Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, (37) Memphis, (70) Ole Miss, (58) Mississippi State, (54) South Alabama, (63) Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Miss, (64) Troy, Wichita State
LAST TIME OUT
Chattanooga ended up seventh in a strong field at the Linger Longer Invitational. The squad shot 878 led by Liam Johnston’s tie for 13th finish at -1 (215).
The Mocs defend their Southern Conference Championship April 20-22 at National Golf Club in Pinehurst, N.C.
• Deep and balanced field this week with 10 of the 15 teams ranked from No. 37-84 on Golfstat.
• Chattanooga in the Old Waverly Collegiate: First entry
• Liam Johnston earned Southern Conference Golfer of the Week honors for his play at the Linger Longer Invitational. He beat six nationally-ranked opponents including No. 39 Jimmy Beck (Kennesaw St) and No. 43 M.J. Maguire (UNF).
• Wes Gosselin is second to Johnston at 73.59 strokes per round. He leads the Mocs in par 4 scoring (4.11), par or better holes (78.4) and fewest bogeys (2.89). Gosselin boats the top average of the spring slate (73.44).
• Chris Robb is the squad leader in pars (11.32).
• Just 1.39 shots per round separates Johnston and five-man Bunn’s stroke averages.
• Only Bunn and Scott have started all nine team tournaments thus far.
• Scott’s scoring average is 72.61 over his last 18 cards. That’s the best on the team over that span.
• Chattanooga has five par or better rounds on the season after the opening with a five-under par 283 at the Linger Longer Invite.
• Weilguni leads the team in eagles per round (0.36) while he shares the total lead of four with Johnston.
• Brooks Thomas averages the fewest others (scores of double bogey or higher) at 0.71 (10 total). Johnston (0.80) is second.
• The Mocs are -79 for the season on par 5’s. Robb (-23), Johnston (-19), Bunn (-19) and Scott (-19) key the effort.
• +7 effort on par 3’s at Linger Longer Invite was the fifth time in 2013-14 shooting nine over or better.
• +10 on the par 4’s in the same event was the third-best performance behind AutoTrader.com (E) and Bridgestone Golf Collegiate (+4) events.
• Chattanooga tied its season-high of 39 birdies (AutoTrader) at the Linger Longer.
• Best scores of 2013-14:
1: 283, Linger Longer/68, Liam Johnston, L. Longer
2: 273, AutoTrader/67, 4 times
3: 284, Palmetto/68, Chris Robb, Palmetto
Total: 855, AutoTrader/208, L. Johnston, AutoTrader
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.